Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Inverness  (Read 3365 times)

RST

Hello from Inverness
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »

Hello,
Trying this a second time because I couldn’t upload a picture and lost the whole post.  I’ve registered recently because I have been browsing for years and couldn’t believe that model boaters never took any pictures!!  Then I saw the message about registering.  Not sure if I’ve registered before –my tug is on the original website anyway, possibly from before the forum started!
I moved from Aberdeen to Inverness some 12 years ago and lack of any locally suitable boating ponds or clubs pushed me towards model railways again.  I dabbled in N gauge for years but got absolutely fed up of price hikes recently and lower built-in reliability / serviceability so I wasn’t being held to ransom any longer.  Some products are now 100% more than they were 2-3 years ago!

I am a degree qualified Naval Architect but always worked in oil and gas until the industry collapsed.  I think this pushed me more to model boating again since I can’t seem to get work in the marine industry again and stuck back on terra firma which I am eternally bitter about –I might as well make play boats instead.
My Sangsetia from pre-2005 is still sat 95% complete and never seen anything but bath water.  It’s huge but I have tried selling several times with no success.  I’ll keep it as one day I’ll do the last 5% of painting etc. and it's kind of part of me now.  My tug isin the cupboard needing work -can't believe I followed a suggestion years ago to use olive oil in the prop tubes, it may take allot of work to clear the congealed gunge out without damaging anything.

I thought I’d try a simple project “coffee tabletop” modelling to get me back in to it.  So I made one of the later VIC type puffers, feehand to 1:48/1:50 but based on VIC56. 500’odd mm long from wood and polystyrene sheet.  I got to 90% done before I realised it is way too top heavy on a dunking in the bathtub (oops!!!).

After a quick trip to quote a Scottish Water job on Rassay last year I thought I’d try something inherently stable, again coffee table top modelling freehand based on pictures and I have something akin to MV Raasay.  Think I will call it “Raas’ich”.  It’s at painting stage but I seem to have messed up with prop shaft angles and I now need a vehicle on-deck to hide the motor in.  This is proving a little limiting at 1:48/1:50 scale!!!

Hull building is effort zapping so I was looking for another small project without losing enthusiasm before finishing.  Just taken delivery of an ABS Pilot 40 hull and I’ll base the topsides on photos and the pictures of plans on the internet but I’ll make my own stamp on it as I think I can better a few angles.  I am amazed there is only one model build / pictures on-line though!  It’s really a bit big for me but hey ho.

I am amazed how technology has progressed and prices have fallen compared to hikes in model railways!  I still have my 27 and 40MHz radio gear and Ni-Mh prices don’t warrant changing to Li-Po or brushless yet.  I just hope I get these models get on the water.  The pond in Elgin is likely, or I think I stumbled across a boating pond in Nairn I never knew about!!

I’ll try and get some pics up.  It used to be easy with photobucket but I haven’t decided on an alternative yet.  I used to be on allot of car and model forums but went away from it.  I'm not on facebook either.  I'll try and post-up and chip-in yhough.

Cheers,

Rich

RST

Re: Hello from Inverness
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 06:31:36 pm »

jees -how many attempts to post......

Why is RMS Titanic not an acceptable answer to:

What ship sank after colliding with an iceberg  in 1912 ?:

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 06:44:24 pm »

Hi welcome to the forum

Your previous builds sound amazing, I’m sure we would love to see some pictures uploaded soon. :-))

The answer to the registration question is simpler than you think. They are one word answers, so the ship in question would be Titanic not RMS Titanic even though that’s the full answer!

Not many more questions to go before they stop. ok2
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:59:30 pm »

Hi welcome to the forum

Your previous builds sound amazing, I’m sure we would love to see some pictures uploaded soon. :-))

The answer to the registration question is simpler than you think. They are one word answers, so the ship in question would be Titanic not RMS Titanic even though that’s the full answer!

Not many more questions to go before they stop. ok2

dare I say without sounding callous............once she sank and her stern dipped below the ice cold Atlantic.............she was no longer designated as a Royal Mail Ship. its the same argument why merchant seamen were, and still are by some companies, paid on a daily basis............because should they suffer the fate of their ship sinking..........their pay stopped the moment the ship dipped below the surface................disgusting as it is, but true.
so technically the name is Titanic, not RMS Titanic.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:19:58 pm »

That’s greedy/callous business men for you!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RST

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:35:25 pm »

so technically the name is Titanic, not RMS Titanic.

..the named ship sank before as you say it disappeared below the water and the owners absolved whatever.  The question which I apologise for revealing has been solved.  One of my university professors was a very old OAP when he taught us and was apparently one of the top experts on the sinking of her back in the day, then a POW in Japan then writing one of the Nav Arch "bibles" afterwards.  We all liked him and I look very fondly back on the days when he had us doing coursework 60 years behind modern times!  Wasn't about the design -the principles still apply.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:52:05 am »

Hi RST, there are a few sailing "ponds"  30 minutes down the A9 in the Aviemore area. Loch Insh, Loch Morlich, Loch Alvie and my favourite Loch Pityoulish.   All fresh water , Loch Insh has a restaurant and bar.  I dont know if the Dingwall club is still going , good model shop there.
..well can you land on this?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:04:43 pm »

Hello,
...............................I thought I’d try a simple project “coffee tabletop” modelling to get me back in to it.  So I made one of the later VIC type puffers, feehand to 1:48/1:50 but based on VIC56. 500’odd mm long from wood and polystyrene sheet.  I got to 90% done before I realised it is way too top heavy on a dunking in the bathtub (oops!!!).

After a quick trip to quote a Scottish Water job on Rassay last year I thought I’d try something inherently stable, again coffee table top modelling freehand based on pictures and I have something akin to MV Raasay.  Think I will call it “Raas’ich”.  It’s at painting stage but I seem to have messed up with prop shaft angles and I now need a vehicle on-deck to hide the motor in.  This is proving a little limiting at 1:48/1:50 scale!!!............................

Good job that you didn't involved with the design of full-sized ships and boats!!  ;)
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »

Welcome aboard  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RST

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 01:48:43 am »

Good job that you didn't involved with the design of full-sized ships and boats!!  ;)

Naa, the bigger, the easier it is LoL.

I dont know if the Dingwall club is still going , good model shop there.

I know Archie the dog in Dingwall very well and the couple who watch over the shop for him!!!! LoL  Dingwall club doesn't exist in my time up here anyway.

I have a passionate hatred for the A9 and avoid it at all costs though I'm up and down for work often enough.  I'll have to finish something first these days though I'm getting close on one project now.

Cheers,

Rich

PS:  Must decide on a new on-line pic hosting method also.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 02:22:44 am »

The nearest club still operating close to Inverness is up at Wick, but there are a few boat modellers in the area (some more approachable than others). There was an attempt to get a modeling group going here circa 2015 which failed miserably. Tarlair is dead and I am not sure what happened to the Aberdeen club (Duthie Park Boating Pond)

There is also a group of modellers up in the Dornoch / Bonar Bridge area who sometimes dabble with boats and a modelling group over in Forres. (They tend to show at the Elgin Modelfair (Oct/Nov time) http://www.culbinmodel.club/index.html)

Would be careful about the pond in Elgin though. While it used to have a model boat show back in the 80's, model boaters have not always been welcome there recently.

You mentioned SW - There are a few modellers in the HD office.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 12:08:29 pm »

The Aberdeen Club still seems to be on the go according to info on the Scottish Federation pages and there own website.
Sorry to hear that the Tarlair club is gone as they were a good active club with an excellent pond.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 10:21:03 pm »

The Aberdeen Club still seems to be on the go according to info on the Scottish Federation pages and there own website.
Sorry to hear that the Tarlair club is gone as they were a good active club with an excellent pond.

Jim

The Tarlair swimming pool has had a bad time recently and is on the at risk register. A group (Friends of Tarlair) is trying to restore and save it. I don't have a contact for them unfortunately.

The Tarlair group used to be regulars at the Elgin Modelfair but I can't remember seeing them after 2007/8. The Pentland Group still shows up.

I had been trying to find a club near Elgin a while back before I moved to Inverness, but it was either travel to Wick or Aberdeen.

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 01:13:14 am »

Pentland Model Boat Club and the next is Aberdeen as the Tarlair areyou could say non existant but there are a fewladssail atTarlair in the good weather
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.