Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aldi to sell 3D Printer  (Read 4269 times)

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Aldi to sell 3D Printer
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:34:16 pm »

Just read my Aldi catalogue for this week and low behold as from Thurs 23rd Nov, you will be able to buy exclusively online, a Balco 3D printer for £299.99. It has a build area of 200x200x180mm and supports a variety of filaments including PLA,ABS,PVA and more. Christmas has come even earlier  %%

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Aldi to sell 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:40:35 am »

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:12:54 pm »

The little I know about 3D printer, mainly from Utube videos, are ... is?

Don't buy the cheapest one you can find.... you'll hate it afterwards, ( size limitations, poor s/w, too slow ).
 Don't buy one that doesn't have a manufactures website.  ( Look for Firmware updates. )
 Don't buy one if spares are not readily available.
 Look on Youtube and Forum for customer feedback.

That's my 'Tuppence Worth', no change given by this machine.  :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:42:51 pm »

It seems to be online only - which I take to mean not available in shops - and sold out so not available at all anymore.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:02:51 pm »

it is actually a machine called the wanhao duplicator i3 plus...  available by many names from many resellers.... if you search for its original manufacturer or model name...  there are literally thousands of "upgrades" and tweaks that can be done to it to fix all of its downfalls.  its following is so big that it has multiple facebook groups.  It was probably the first entry level/inexpensive 3d printer that lived up to most of its original hype.  I have seen it offered for as little as £225, and as high as £500.   It ships in 3 pieces to reduce cost, and assembly requires a few bolts and a few cables being attached, but after that, it works really well.  some of the more well known youtube 3d printer reviewers give it high praise.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 06:07:33 pm »

3d Printers are very much like self build PCs

Generic hardware and infinitely adaptable firmware and software.  Also you can almost use them out of the box, but have a lot to gain by learning and experimenting.   There is a huge community designing, adapting and improving every single printer on the market and scratch building too.

Don't buy the cheapest one you can find.... you'll hate it afterwards, ( size limitations, poor s/w, too slow ).

As a newbie, don't spend a lot of money on something you don't have the knowledge to exploit it's potential and price is often a poor measure of quality and features. If you have not spent a lot, then giving up is cheap too

Don't buy one that doesn't have a manufactures website.  ( Look for Firmware updates. )

Very few have a manufacturer's website, virtually all are clones, or a simple variation of standard parts. Half the fun is moving on to other open source Firmwares and Software.

Don't buy one if spares are not readily available. 

There is a huge market of spares available for every printer, some with the maker's trademark on them, others are just copies.  Some of the "trademarked" kit and spares are clones too.

Think of it as when you first started out with boat modelling - the options, the possibilities and the learning curves are just the same.

Start simple and once you are happy with what you have achieved you can settle down at that level, or just move on to another hobby having lost very little.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »

I will also warn about da-vinci printers - they come ready built, and do really work out of the box, but despite being a branded name, although the software is upgraded regularly the after sales service is poor, spares are almost impossible, and the filament cartridges are chipped so you are tied to their filament which is expensive.
Now despite all these drawbacks, thats what I went for, as I didnt want to have the hassle of setting up, my forte is CAD, so I can do the designs, but I just wanted a printer that I just send the file to and it works.
Just be aware there can be drawbacks even with branded printers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.