Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Batteries & Chargers

Battery life?

(1/6) > >>

Bob K:
A quick question about batteries.  I use either SLA or NimH, so far without any problem.  However, just like car batteries which gradually decline in performance over the years, should I replace my model boat batteries on a precautionary basis when they have provided years of useful service.  Example:  My HMS Skirmisher has a 10Ah SLA, and is used around once a week for two or more hours of continuous usage for over six years.  I sail twice a week, so my most popular boats all get a lot of use.

Should we wait until a noticeable reduction in run time is noted after the usual full charge, or replace them after X recharge/use cycles.  As I say I do not have any problems with them, always buying good quality batteries and looking after them, but there must be limits.

radiojoe:

Hi Bob, My adage is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and the same applies to the car battery, if I start getting starting problems and the battery is five years old or more that's when I replace it, it's rare that a battery in a model will suddenly fail so you will know in good time that your sailing times are getting shorter, till then save your pennies for mince pies.  ok2   O0

Joe

Bob K:
Thank you Joe.  Sounds like good advice. 
My many batteries have all seen countless hours of life, and been recharged many times.

roycv:
Hi Bob I have a couple of Deac batteries they must be 35 years old and they still take a charge and drive a motor.
Roy

timgarrod:
on my sub i use sla batteries. it used most Sundays.

i have a rule of now that a replace them 1 1/2 to 2 years as don't want to risk a model over £15 and then use them for testing of aux power supply but that just me.

that remind to i better replace mine soon lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version