Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Dumas Star30 Build

(1/3) > >>

danielcardona:
Hello To everyone

I'm Daniel from Malta, I decided to share here my experience in my building stages of a Dumas Star30. I bought a kit in june if i remember correctly and i decided to give it a go and start something different, It's not my first build in model boating as my first one was a Glynn guest Vosper PT boat (still not finished), an aeronaut Classic (still not tested) and aeronaut Bella (needs sails and RC installation), So yes as you can see never actually finished a complete project but I did tried sailing with a Dragon Force RG65 (Which i still have) and had a lot of fun but this year didn't had a chance to get it in the water.

My main interest actually is RC Aeromodelling and I mostly build from kits or scratch from Plans, with the exception that I finish them and actually fly them successfully  {-) . Anyway...First to point out is that I'm not a professional builder so You may see some mistakes here and there so please be gentle in commenting in my build %), So Upon starting opening the box of the star30 I was a bit disappointing to see that most of the kit is actually DieCut pieces of wood. Nothing wrong actually with DieCut Parts, I build several Sig aircraft Kits which most of them use DieCutting, but with this Dumas Kit the quality was very poor at least IMO.

I started first making Templates for any future builds as the plan doesn't show the full formers and hull sides etc

danielcardona:
all bulkheads are lightply (poplar)and the sides ,bottom and deck are mahogany sheets of around 1 or 1.5mm. the keel is a piece of stainless steel sheet permanently attached between two lightply keelson with epoxy glue and two bolts and nuts (picture in previous post)

next was to lay all the former's (dry) and check for alignment, here is were the disappointment in the kit got bigger, nothing was matching with the plan so i had to go all by instincts, at this point i was going to loose interest, it have been a while since i done some building as starting with a less than perfect kit wasn't ideal. But i kept going no matter what, good or wrong at least i was learning something and filling up my spare time. oddly enough with this kit i was starting to having fun.

the instructions tells you to start with the bottom sheeting first, then start with the hull sides and soon enough it was looking like a boat.
glue used so far was titebond and epoxy.

danielcardona:
Btw if anyone here ever build one of these, please comment and share your experiences with this Kit, if you can also post picture of the radio gear and installation i would be very pleased to see them as for now i dont have a clue what to use and how to rig this thing...but hopefully i will get there soon enough.

Daniel

danielcardona:
I managed to do some more progress into the build, I'm starting to prepare the inside of the hull by adding the required pieces which add a bit of strength in some areas. I also made some modifications which basically they are extra hardwood pieces were the deck screw eye pieces will be installed and an extra piece were the mast pin will be located.

I still need to add the rudder bearing block, then I need to check and add resin to the joints of the bulkheads, a brush of sanding sealer and maybe a brush of varnish.

danielcardona:
I'm thinking also to change the design of the rudder, to give it a more modern look but I'm still not sure about it. I'm also considering to eliminate the skeg. do i really need the skeg anyway??

the design of the rudder that i was think is simple actually, pencil lines shown on the original rudder drawing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version