Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Star30 Build  (Read 3293 times)

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Dumas Star30 Build
« on: November 30, 2017, 02:10:15 pm »

Hello To everyone

I'm Daniel from Malta, I decided to share here my experience in my building stages of a Dumas Star30. I bought a kit in june if i remember correctly and i decided to give it a go and start something different, It's not my first build in model boating as my first one was a Glynn guest Vosper PT boat (still not finished), an aeronaut Classic (still not tested) and aeronaut Bella (needs sails and RC installation), So yes as you can see never actually finished a complete project but I did tried sailing with a Dragon Force RG65 (Which i still have) and had a lot of fun but this year didn't had a chance to get it in the water.

My main interest actually is RC Aeromodelling and I mostly build from kits or scratch from Plans, with the exception that I finish them and actually fly them successfully  {-) . Anyway...First to point out is that I'm not a professional builder so You may see some mistakes here and there so please be gentle in commenting in my build %), So Upon starting opening the box of the star30 I was a bit disappointing to see that most of the kit is actually DieCut pieces of wood. Nothing wrong actually with DieCut Parts, I build several Sig aircraft Kits which most of them use DieCutting, but with this Dumas Kit the quality was very poor at least IMO.

I started first making Templates for any future builds as the plan doesn't show the full formers and hull sides etc

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dumas Star30 Build
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:00 pm »

all bulkheads are lightply (poplar)and the sides ,bottom and deck are mahogany sheets of around 1 or 1.5mm. the keel is a piece of stainless steel sheet permanently attached between two lightply keelson with epoxy glue and two bolts and nuts (picture in previous post)

next was to lay all the former's (dry) and check for alignment, here is were the disappointment in the kit got bigger, nothing was matching with the plan so i had to go all by instincts, at this point i was going to loose interest, it have been a while since i done some building as starting with a less than perfect kit wasn't ideal. But i kept going no matter what, good or wrong at least i was learning something and filling up my spare time. oddly enough with this kit i was starting to having fun.

the instructions tells you to start with the bottom sheeting first, then start with the hull sides and soon enough it was looking like a boat.
glue used so far was titebond and epoxy.

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:38:20 pm »

Btw if anyone here ever build one of these, please comment and share your experiences with this Kit, if you can also post picture of the radio gear and installation i would be very pleased to see them as for now i dont have a clue what to use and how to rig this thing...but hopefully i will get there soon enough.

Daniel

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:15 pm »

I managed to do some more progress into the build, I'm starting to prepare the inside of the hull by adding the required pieces which add a bit of strength in some areas. I also made some modifications which basically they are extra hardwood pieces were the deck screw eye pieces will be installed and an extra piece were the mast pin will be located.

I still need to add the rudder bearing block, then I need to check and add resin to the joints of the bulkheads, a brush of sanding sealer and maybe a brush of varnish.

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 08:12:08 pm »

I'm thinking also to change the design of the rudder, to give it a more modern look but I'm still not sure about it. I'm also considering to eliminate the skeg. do i really need the skeg anyway??

the design of the rudder that i was think is simple actually, pencil lines shown on the original rudder drawing.

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:17:14 pm »

I've managed to do a bit more progress, i started to install the rudder bearing tube and altered again the design of the rudder. after the epoxy was set I gave the rudder a little sanding to give it a more aerodynamic shape. Later i gave a coat of finishing resin on the inside of the top decking for waterproofing and a coat of varnish inside the Hull.

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:53:59 pm »

ok now that the decks are dry from the last coat of epoxy i pre-drilled the mast pin hole and the jib sheet hole exit into the hardwood piece inside the hull. what i had in mind is that since the top deck is in two halves i would transfer the holes in the first halve so they can be some sort of pilot holes ready and way easier to drill more precisely were the plans tell you.

the top decks will be glued with Epoxy resin, I forgot to say previously that the two halves needed some sanding in order to match together correctly. it was noted also that the rudder bellcrank or (whatever is called is the model boat world) will be a bit fiddly to put it after the top deck is attached, worst case is i will cut another hole on the deck for access but what i do need is what i think an imperial size allen key to be able to secure the grub screw into the bellcrank. I don't have any right now so i was also considering to drill another hole and tap a metric thread and use more common metric bolt instead of the grub screw, i don't think its fun to loose a rudder in mid water. ok2

note that i also added some scrap mahogany strips on the deck seam for extra reinforcement for the other half.[/size][size=78%] [/size]

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:23:57 pm »

not much of a progress but the other half of the top deck is glued on and 1/16 by 1/8th spruce strips are added alongside of the hull at deck height. after everything was dry and some sanding a light coat of Zpoxy Finishing Resin was added on the deck hence why the dark colour on Top.

the rest of the available Time that I had was spent admiring my progress and thinking in what colours should i paint the hull once is fully finished. Next I think it's time to start with the mast and tinkering with the servo installation and setup .

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 10:58:10 pm »

Hello again everybody

Today with my very little spare time available i turned my attention to the mast, The construction of it makes it a little bit odd to me because it's a bit more time consuming that the mast of the Aeronaut Bella that a build during the summer which basically was a pre shaped round mast. I've had only to add some bits and it was ready but upon close inspection i also noted that it was still in two halves glued together that rounded off, nevertheless it was ready shaped and very little work was required.

The Mast for this Dumas Star 30 is build with two hard wood halves between a 1/16'' ply strip, the two halves have a groove were the sail luff rope will slide in. the rope which is included in the kit just slide in the sail luff, instead of the rope I'm thinking to use an outer tube of a  pushrod snake used on RC Aeroplanes. the reason for doing this is to try to keep it simple because with the rope there would be need some sewing ,which i'm not very keen to that part. the photo's below show some of the instruction notes, picture's to show the mast construction and some of my progress. note also that the 1/16'' ply spacer provided in the kit were a bit wider, i simply narrowed them with my proxxon mini table saw.

Another thing that i managed to do is I drilled another 2.5mm hole on the rudder arm and tapped an M3 thread to be able to use a M3 screw.

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 10:14:46 pm »

Here’s the progress of the mast, i build it almost exactly as per instructions with the exception that I permanently glued the lower dowel that goes into the luff groove. I simply enlarged a small part of the sail slot at the top part of the mast so i can slide the sail from there. I also added a plastic tubing 1 inch long at the bottom were the mast pin goes, I preferred to use a brass one but i didn’t had any.

The spreaders are also completed and i reinforced them at one end were the nail pass trough the mast to hold the spreaders.

I then added the splash guards on the top deck using scrap mahagony veneer and glued them using epoxy.
Finally i also made the lead ballast for the keel using the supplied plastic ones as a mold to then make another mold using plastic of paris.

danielcardona

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:58 pm »

here are the photo's, sorry if they are a bit low quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.