Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Record Scroll Saw

(1/3) > >>

ChrisF:

Was going to feedback to a previous thread on tools, including my impending purchase of a scroll saw but I couldn't find it!

Anyway, having looked at various reviews and the fact it's got a 5 year warranty I ended up with a Record SS16V variable speed from Machine Mart at £125.99.

Tried it with the supplied pinned blade initially and it was OK, producing a little ripping of the bottom surface of the ply. Would be OK for boat building but I wanted better. So bought some Olson blades, pinless reverse tooth and pinned standard and even the latter produced virtually no ripping so I was well pleased and with a little sanding the edges are perfect.

So for me this scroll  saw is spot on for model boat building. If my hobby was scroll saw art and you needed to cut out lots of small internal areas then you'd need a more expensive saw with a quickly detachable/attachable blade. 

Someone on  the other thread did criticize the clear plastic guard (similar on other makes) as it distorts the view but I've left that off as I prefer safety goggles anyway.

tigertiger:
It looks like a nice bit of kit  :-))
One way to stop/reduce ripping is to apply carpenters masking tape (the blue stuff) to the rear of the cut area.

grendel:
I have found the ripping is also dependent on the plywood, some sheets are worse for it than others, but I am not sure quite how you can tell the difference when you buy it.

Tug Fanatic:

--- Quote from: tigertiger on December 03, 2017, 02:22:38 am ---It looks like a nice bit of kit  :-))
One way to stop/reduce ripping is to apply carpenters masking tape (the blue stuff) to the rear of the cut area.

--- End quote ---

I have used masking tape to reduce ripping for many years but I know nothing about "the blue stuff". More information please.

Generally more teeth per inch = less ripping but slower cutting - which also tends to reduce ripping

rnli12:
Hi,

I try test pieces first as it does depend on the TPI [teeth per inch] and speed of cut.

Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version