Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record Scroll Saw  (Read 4243 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Record Scroll Saw
« on: December 02, 2017, 04:51:12 pm »

Was going to feedback to a previous thread on tools, including my impending purchase of a scroll saw but I couldn't find it!

Anyway, having looked at various reviews and the fact it's got a 5 year warranty I ended up with a Record SS16V variable speed from Machine Mart at £125.99.

Tried it with the supplied pinned blade initially and it was OK, producing a little ripping of the bottom surface of the ply. Would be OK for boat building but I wanted better. So bought some Olson blades, pinless reverse tooth and pinned standard and even the latter produced virtually no ripping so I was well pleased and with a little sanding the edges are perfect.

So for me this scroll  saw is spot on for model boat building. If my hobby was scroll saw art and you needed to cut out lots of small internal areas then you'd need a more expensive saw with a quickly detachable/attachable blade. 

Someone on  the other thread did criticize the clear plastic guard (similar on other makes) as it distorts the view but I've left that off as I prefer safety goggles anyway.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Record Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:22:38 am »

It looks like a nice bit of kit  :-))
One way to stop/reduce ripping is to apply carpenters masking tape (the blue stuff) to the rear of the cut area.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:43:53 am »

I have found the ripping is also dependent on the plywood, some sheets are worse for it than others, but I am not sure quite how you can tell the difference when you buy it.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:59:52 am »

It looks like a nice bit of kit  :-))
One way to stop/reduce ripping is to apply carpenters masking tape (the blue stuff) to the rear of the cut area.

I have used masking tape to reduce ripping for many years but I know nothing about "the blue stuff". More information please.

Generally more teeth per inch = less ripping but slower cutting - which also tends to reduce ripping

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:08:08 am »

Hi,

I try test pieces first as it does depend on the TPI [teeth per inch] and speed of cut.

Rich
Regards,

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:16:41 am »

... I know nothing about "the blue stuff". More information please.

It is this stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/192584-UV-Resistant-Painting-Decorating-Masking/dp/B00FHXGNQ0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1512295891&sr=8-5&keywords=painters+masking+tape
Looks like they call it UV painter's masking tape in the UK. On USA carpentry websites they call it carpenter's tape.

The blue stuff is stronger than the white stuff. Also I have found the life of the white stuff can be fairly short, and it rips more easily, when you don't want it to. Maybe the white stuff in the UK is better quality than here. It also does not bleed paint under the edges.
It goes on easily, stays firm, and peels off easily after, leaving no goo. I use it for either masking when gluing or on areas where I don't want varnish (draw runners). I also put it on dark hardwoods to mark up the joints to be cut on the tape.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:37:03 pm »

No need for tape, with decent sharp blades. As I said with the Olson blades the amount of ripping is negligable.

I'm cutting 6mm ply at the moment and whilst that is OK for the pinless reverse tooth blade I first tried due to its fineness cutting was slow but gave very clean cuts. Will be better for the thinner ply.

Changed to the pinned 15 tpi and progress was much better and ripping was almost non-existent so I'm very happy with their performance.

The tape would be useful for cutting thicker plywood with a jig saw for DIY projects though.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 02:46:11 pm »

........................ Maybe the white stuff in the UK is better quality than here...............................

I guess like everywhere else a generic product like masking tape covers a wide range of product from useless to high quality. We do not normally get blue tape but I am sure that it is for sale somewhere!

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem really helps me out!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 08:40:24 pm »

I think the blue stuff is the 3m product you can buy from Chandlers and probably B&Q. It has a far finer edge when masking, never tried it to prevent ripping as discussed but use it as intended all the time.
Derek

Flatspin7

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Record Scroll Saw/ masking tape
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:34 pm »

If you want to buy proper masking tape of far higher quality than DIY stores try www. my paintbrush.co.uk
at trade prices plus lots of proper brushes & materials that also may have hobby applications

The synthetic professional brushes are in a different league to hobby/ DIY

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 07:07:35 am »

I have just read on line what is different about the blue masking tape/carpenters/painters tape. It does not leave any glue residue when you remove it. You can peel off the tape and then paint/finish directly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.