The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

XRAD'S EC12

(1/4) > >>

xrad:
Found fairly nice EC12 hull, few chips/dings.  Since I am not racing, not following spec so much in regards to sail size/min weight, etc..  Want this to be my beater sailboat, so I gave it a layer of 5oz cloth. Very strong hull now.

Built a simple winch setup. Has max 18" of travel and plenty of torque.  More than enough to run the sails and cost less than 50$ (35$ for 'winch' servo) and is programmed through the Tx so easy setup.  80lb fishing line. Spring auto tensioner needed as drum diameter changes as line winds on to extreme end of travel.

Got a 'groovy' round mast from online source. These are pretty much the standard across the globe.  6ftx 12.7mm dia is just right for this 58" hull. Unfortunately, the more scale extruded masts are not currently available from usual US sources, until someone extrudes more....

xrad:
The sail winch is screwed to 2 grooved wild cherry blocks sitting on the 2nd and 3rd frames.  Easy to remove if needed. Reinforcing blocks extend under fiberglass lip at bow and stern for rigging. Have to design hatches ,mast support, chain plate support, rudder servo support....Sitka spruce stringers.  Spruce and cherry smell really good when cut.

I used devcon plastic welder to attach frames to hull.  Easy to mix, works great on polyester resin and wood!   expensive but worth it.  I used epoxy to reinforce the keel as hull was a bit thin there. Epoxy sticks fine to polyester once cleaned and sanded.

SailorGreg:
Neat work. I can see the wisdom of having the winch removable, but how do you reach the screws when the deck is on? Perhaps I should be more patient and all will be revealed! It is nice to see another sailing craft being built.  :-))

Greg

danielcardona:
Is this some sort of a J class sail boat, it has such a nice hull, so elegant  :-) . how did you figured out the shape of those formers? or were they with the hull?

Regards
Daniel

xrad:
Sailorgreg: Two hatches
DC: EC12 (hence the title  :-)) ) has lines similar to J boats, yes, very smooth and prototypical

The frames were all hand cut on an old sears reciprocating table saw w/16 inch throat (purchased in 1991 for my 5 foot clipper build!).  Bud Olsen aircraft plywood, 6 layers, very strong.  Simples to make stiff paper mock-up first, get that to fit well, then trace to the ply.  Another very helpful tool is the harbor freight 35$ (Special sale 3 yrs ago) table sander. Motor a little weak, but fine for small parts/surface areas...

Machined up a mast step out of aluminum. 1/2 deep socket for 1/2 dia mast.  Overkill on support system, but I don't want to have any issues.  Minimum recommended is 80lb line for the running rigging and 90lb stranded wire for standing rig. This could easily be made as an adjustable mount, but again, I'm not racing so just being built to last. Step is located about 25.25" from bow.  I strongly suspect that this mast will have a good amount of fore-aft play.  port-starboard play limited by stays/spreaders.  Unfortunately, can only currently get a round mast.  If I do find a more sturdy mast, I can easily make adapter to fit in socket.

More info on EC12  build sites and AMYA.  I purchased some very light kite material for the sails. Super cheap and super strong.  Classic Bermuda rig with 72" mast and 27.5" main boom plus a head sail or two should plenty of sail for this hull. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version