The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

Torpedo tubes.

(1/2) > >>

tonyH:
Hi All,

Bit of a long shot this one I'm afraid!

Early torpedos were just dropped off the sides, later on they were projected from tubes with a blast of explosive gas BUT in the middle, about 1880-1890, many were projected from the tubes with a steam powered or compressed air powered plunger. Rather like the ones in the Coastal Motor Boats but working forward rather than backwards.
The only indication I have is from an illustration from a 1910 book which shows the cylinder to be about 9ft long and about 8 inches diameter.
Does any have anything atall, or could suggest a likely source?

Cheers

Tony

And this is the pic.

John R Haynes:
For what its worth years ago I developed a kit for a 1/96 TBD Velox which had a single Torpedo tube so I can supply this if required

TailUK:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1195313783862857/1643157275745170/

There's a pdf for download at the above.
Everything you wanted to know about torpedos but were afraid to ask.  You might find what you're looking for in there.

tonyH:
Thanks Les,

I'm having a problem accessing the pdf you listed. Do I need to join Facebook? If so I'll get one of the younger members of the family to sort it out :-))

Thanks John but the only Velox I've found had the later version of tube. This one had the torpedoes in the fixed channels forrard and the cylinder aft of them carried a long piston arrangement with compressed steam or compressed air, rather like a hypodermic cylinder in reverse.

Cheers

Tony

TailUK:
I was under the impression that you didn't need to be signed up with FB to access the file but I don't know for sure.  I'm sure it can be downloaded by a Facebook user and put on a memory stick for you though. I'm sure you'll find it interesting. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version