Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Detail Work, Rigging, Fittings, Figures Etc.

Resin moulding kits

(1/3) > >>

Paragon:
Hi All .
Has anyone used resin moulding to duplicate fittings they have made ?
Just toying with doing it and wondering where and what type of kit to buy ?
Think it might be a bit of fun too .

John

Capt Podge:
Hello John,

I was in a similar position - have a look at this thread www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55091.msg571238.html#msg571238

Also, if you type casting resin in the search box, there's loads of threads you can read through - have fun, it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Regards,

Ray.

Paragon:
Thanks Cp been thinking about it for a while and went to Buy a couple of fittings this week and they were a shocking price so I took a bit of time and made them . Now I would like to duplicate them for future projects.

Thanks again

John

Neil:

it's easy, and decent results can be gained if your master is good.

go to this company for your resin..........use polyeurethane resin for best results, but working time is very short, nd shelf life of the 2 part resin once opened is about 3 - 4 months only........so make sure you build up your stock of masters and rubber moulds in quantity first before buying the resin.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Fastcast-Polyurethane-Resin-2kg-pack-RFC364_002.html

second link is to rubber I use. the higher the RTV [Room temperature vulcanising] number, the harder the rubber is............and the harder ones are usually used for home casting of molten white metal.

if you only want to do a small amount of moulding you can buy a small kit as shown on ebay on this link...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=silicon+moulding+rubber&_sacat=0

but it is dear buying in small quantities....I tend to buy a larger canister, and have had a canister for over a year now and is still very good condition.

http://www.ea-silicones.co.uk/rtv_silicone.html

These are the ones I use, but seem to be out of stock at the moment,...........but there are other suppliers on ebay for large and small quantities........but you must remember that a larger mould can take anything up to 1/2 a kilo of rubber.
you can also use surface or split moulds for different items.

if you want to look at mould preparation look up any of my lifeboat builds  as I'm always moulding my own [ not plagiarised.........as that is a big no no with me] fittings......look at my lifeboat builds and read about it.......the process is fun.

oh yes, and if you go for split moulds, don't spend inordinate amounts of money on expensive spray on release agents between the two halves of rubber whilst one cures against the other already cured half.........common Vaseline petroleum jelly is the best release agent for splitting two mould halves I know. also, you'll need a good supply of lego bricks and mulding plastecine from cfs to make moulding boxes out of.

and finally these rubbers need a percentage of moisture in the air to cure..........was given a tip by the engineers at Titani's of reading.....just add a few drops of warm water to your rubber/catylist mix at the same time........moisture already added. you will need some electronic scales alsi to get the mix of resin spot on 1 - 1 mix..........or it will bubble and froth, and not set at all........your fitting will look like the inside of a Crunchie bar.........

any more questions, just ask.

Paragon:
Thanks a Million Neil, really appreciate the in-depth reply .
I was looking at different places to buy the items so I’ll have a look at your links .
My latest build I have made lots of fittings in brass and also bought a few , just think it makes sense if I spend time on a lathe and soldering I should really make a mould of the fitting for the future.
Something I’m definitely going to try .

Thanks again

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version