Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > 3D CAD Design & Printing

Which CAD Programme?

(1/6) > >>

ChrisF:
I've had a couple of folks ask me what CAD program I use including my neighbour who got me into RC.

I use Microsoft Visio which isn't CAD as such. It' a drawing program which I started off using at work. I'm pretty proficient with it but not sure I'd recommend it to beginner's though as it does some weird things sometimes when working with curves and have had to redraw things a couple of times as even the Undo button won't fix it.

Does anyone else use Visio?

So what CAD programs are used by forum members and what is recommended for beginners?

I tried TurboCAD many years ago but wasn't very impressed with it, not very user friendly and intuitive though I believe it's much better nowadays.

Chris

irons01:
I tend to use Draftsight, which is basically a free version of 2D AutoCAD, not that easy to learn (but I used AutoCAD at Uni), the nice thing (from my point of view) is that you can import pictures into it (say, scans from a Anatomy of the Ship series) and draw over them to create constructional drawings.....

Ian

tigertiger:
I use Sketchup. It is free for non-commercial use, and there are plenty of tutorials online, including Youtube, there are also lots of books to download. There are also lots of 3D models of things (wheels etc) that can be downloaded from the warehouse (free).

I found it very intuitive and easy to learn. There are also patches available (some pay some free) including several for 3d printing if you wish to go that way.

warspite:
AutoCAD 2014 at home and in the past some inventor, archi- at the last place I worked (though they only used it to draw 2D with), and at the best company I worked at AutoCAD 2008LT, not used it since may - much though, the cormorant for a member was created using the 2014 solids part of the CAD.

Brian60:
I'm just learning Sketchup 3d. I'm finding it difficult, not because of the program but because my mind is embedded with using 2d to draw stuff in Coreldraw :embarrassed: Making the transition from drawing in flat 2d to finding my way around a 3d impression is I find, most difficult.

I draw a shape and want to add another shape to it to get a transition between the two, but it never seems to work, it always looks hollow, a bit weird, but its not the program, its just me coming to terms with a new way of doing things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version