Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D printing items for 1/12 severn build  (Read 2120 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
3D printing items for 1/12 severn build
« on: December 12, 2017, 01:11:02 pm »

Having just got a 3D printer I thought some people might be interested in the possibilities.
I have been practicing with Fusion 360 which is a top end 3D drawing package made available to students and hobbyists for free.
If you plan on getting to grips with this its not like most packages we are used to. Have a look on YouTube at an excellent series of lessons by Paul McWorter called "Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying". He is an excellent teacher. I used Fusion 360 to draw the compass binnacle, Throttle and joystick for the flying bridge. The photos show my efforts. They are my first attempts and are not touched up in any way yet.
While Fusion 360 is good for cad type drawing when it comes to something like a model lifeboatman another excellent free package is Sculptris. This is very much like moulding clay. Again there are good instructional videos on You Tube.
I am blown away by the quality of both Fusion 360 and Sculptris seeing as they are free.
Using Sculptris I managed to modify a simple sample figure to represent a lifeboat man. The picture shows what I got . I think i can do better having done it once. The items in the photo need improving by a bit of fettling but I am encouraged by my initial foray into 3D printing.
Les

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3D printing items for 1/12 severn build
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »

I too have produced fittings and figures for my 1/12 scale norfolk broads cruiser, I found some free software for 3d figures

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:50:22 pm »

I would be interested to know were I could get ready made figures. That might be a good way to get the basic figures to modify.
Les

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:17:48 pm »

I used a program called makehuman, you can even model the features in that to get it to look like a real person - my only issue was there were way more female figures than male
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.