Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stiffen GRP hull.  (Read 1440 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Stiffen GRP hull.
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:06:47 pm »

A bit of advice please. My next build is with a GRP hull , I have previously built up a plastic hull but to me the GRP feels very flimsy and insubstantial (700m mm length tug). I don't know if this will strengthen as items get built in but I wonder if it would be a good idea to add a bit of reinforcement at this early stage .I realise I will need to glass in the platforms for motor, batteries and servo's but would it be an idea to add in some side strips to beef things up a bit . I don't want a floppy boat
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stiffen GRP hull.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:00:54 am »

no need for that baldrick...the hull will stiffen once you put in the longitudinal and cross members for laying the deck onto...........and no need to glass in the bearers for the battery cases or engine or servo mounts.......some good old dollops of polyester filler under those pieces will hold it in perfectly........

the problem with a lot of people who dabble in grp in small amounts is that they will air on the more extravagant ratio of catalyst to
resin
, the mix gets very hot when curing, and ends up distorting your hull with lumps, hollows and ripples on the outside......thus knackering the perfectly formed hull............and once that has happened, there is sod all you can do to rectify it..............just leave the hull alone.........you'll be surprised just how sturdy and solid it will become once a little timber has been applied.

neil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.