Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [UPDATE APRIL 2021] - SL Branksome - HELP!  (Read 907 times)

Oliver_Gerrard

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
[UPDATE APRIL 2021] - SL Branksome - HELP!
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:27:08 pm »

Good evening,

I wanted to take this opportunity to update the MBM Forum and especially this steam community on the progress made regarding the completion of our boat; SL Branksome.

In the 4 years since my original post, I have reached out to many organisations, clubs and enthusiasts to try and get our model in a sailable (and finished) condition. Unfortunately, we have failed to do so as finding the exact person who can help us in such a niche area is very much a needle in a haystack.

That being said, I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply to my original post with their thoughts, suggestions and ideas. We followed them all to their disappointing conclusions but nevertheless, we tried.

In March 2019, after hearing of the completion of the restoration of the museum in Windermere, I once again approached them to see if they would be interested in taking our boat as a museum piece and I am absolutely delighted and over the moon to say that they have accepted our model into the museum’s collection, finally securing her long-term future. We hope very soon to see our model in a display case alongside her namesake on Lake Windermere.

This is the end of the Gerrard family’s association with our model but we have nothing but pride and contentment that we have made the right choice with regards to her future, and so I say to you all now, that nothing will give me and my family greater pleasure than knowing that you have visited the museum and seen her yourselves.

As the lockdown rules start to ease and more of us are able to travel again, I urge you all to support the museum where possible and if you get the opportunity to visit, please do. Lakeland arts, who run the museum and trust, are an incredibly talented bunch of people who know what they are doing, the museum continues to grow and was recently featured in an episode of Antiques Roadshow.

To have our model sat under a sheet in the back bedroom is criminal given her quality, as family, we are 100% content that donating it to the museum is the right decision to allow the greatest number of people to be given the opportunity to see her – who knows, perhaps someone might see her who has the expertise to finish the job… We hope… 

Finally, the museum are here, read your posts and care deeply about the world of steam. I have complete faith that the museum will treat our model with the respect it deserves, I thank you all once again from the bottom of my heart for welcoming me to this community and sharing your thoughts and ideas with me.

Warmest regards for 2021 and beyond.

Oliver Gerrard

pipercub1772

• Full Mayhemer
Re: [UPDATE APRIL 2021] - SL Branksome - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:17:47 pm »

Good afternoon Roger ,its such a pity that your model of SL Branksome could not be completed to a working steam launch for you to enjoy given the fact that it was made to an exceptional standard and that it was made by members of the family, Its surprising  someone could not have taken this project on for you as there is a tremendous amount of knowledge to be gained from this site and many knowledgeable experts in the field of steam , Reading through the post i can understand the frustration you must have felt at times but i can only conclude by saying you cannot have found a more fitting place for the model to be displayed as Windemere is for me the home of working steam vessels in this country and you and your family have made a wonderful contribution to it ,once again thanks for your post ,kind regards Allan

pipercub1772

• Full Mayhemer
Re: [UPDATE APRIL 2021] - SL Branksome - HELP!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 04:19:32 pm »

Apologies should read Oliver
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.