Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > The "Black Arts!" ( Electrics & Electronics )

PC Case fan for cooling motor?

(1/3) > >>

tizdaz:
Hiya guys!

Hope you all had a nice xmas ^^

Anyway onto my question..

I have a couple of spare PC Case cooling fans as they came supplied with my PC case when i bought it but i swapped the fans out for some others, so these are spares that ive never used, they are 12v / 0.30A draw 12cm silent corsair ones, I'm thinking of placing it blowing onto my motor & also the electrics board which sits just above my motor inside my hull, has anyone done such thing? Good/Bad idea? is the 0.30A draw ok? I will be running it off an aux battery that is 12v 22AH. If 0.30 is high then I will pick another up as there are some on ebay rated at 0.16A with slightly lower /RPM.

Thanks in advance!

Brian60:
I have  6 of the 60mm size waiting to go in to my present build. They will be cooling electronics and a couple of the brushless motors that are in enclosed spaces. Yes its feasible and an easy and cheap way of cooling. Remember though, if the hull is sealed rather than having an opening someplace, what you are doing is just moving around the air trapped inside rather than introducing cooling air.

tizdaz:
Thanks Brian,

Yeh I was thinking it will just blow warm air around, its for my TID build so i'm going to have a think about someway of extruding the warm air somehow, any ideas :) The problem is trying to make an inlet or outlet for air, but still trying to keep the hull watertight!

bfgstew:
Do you need to cool it? Are your motors and PCB's getting hot and failing due to overheating?
The old adage......if it aint broke don't fix it.... :-))

tizdaz:

--- Quote from: bfgstew on December 26, 2017, 05:25:31 pm ---Do you need to cool it? Are your motors and PCB's getting hot and failing due to overheating?
The old adage......if it aint broke don't fix it.... :-))

--- End quote ---

hiya :)

Yeh I've always been a firm believer of what your saying! But I've yet to run (still building!) my motor is a 24v Brushed (its the BF24 from MMM) & my ESC is a high voltage P98 from Action which has a large heat sink attached, I'd rather fit the fans now as to fit them afterwards if I did end up needing them will be awkward due to the wiring/location etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version