Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Information on any builds of the Krick Alexandra Steam Launcch, ?  (Read 2180 times)

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer

Hello folks,
I am thinking of having a go at building the Krick Alexandraa Steam Launch kit, and have been searching for a build or any advice
or help on this topic if any fellow member can help I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Al the best & a Happy new year to all.

John.

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Information on any builds of the Krick Alexandra Steam Launcch, ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »

I have one, what exactly is it you're looking for?

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:13:23 am »

Hello Captain Flack,

Thanks for your reply to my questions re the Krick Alexander, I have not received the kit yet
it should arrive in the next few days hopefully.
I have a new "Clyde twin cylinder steam engine together with a Miniature Vertical Steam 3" boiler", which as you probably know is different to the one suggested by Krick, their suggestion being their own 2 cylinder steam engine with a vertical boiler.
As I understand it the kit is designed around their own engine arrangement and I presume
 will require some internal and possibly other alterations to suit my engine.
I am new to steam engines and as you will know they are a wee bit on the expensive side, I bought mine after reading a few articles
by Richard Simpson in "Model Boats magazine", he recommended this as a good buy for a beginner to steam in a very good article so I took the plunge saved the pennies up and bought one, similarly with the "Alexandra kit"

Given your own experience of the kit any advice you can give me particularly if you have fitted a different engine/boiler arrangement
to that recommended by Krick would be very helpful.
Not having received the kit yet it is difficult to ask any more really specific questions about it yet, I will no doubt have more questions
when I get the kit and if it is okay be looking for some help when it comes to different parts of the build,
as I will (knowing me) get stumped somewhere along the line.

Thanks all the best,

John.

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »

I am following this thread since it is quite similar to the Victoria and a lot to learn. I have a question at the very early stages. The hull has been trimmed to size but I noticed a film separating from the outer side of the hull. Should this film be removed. I do not believe paint or glue will adhere to it. This is my first Krick Steam Yacht and I am not familiar with the hulls.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 10:34:25 pm »

John

It is noted that the Miniature Steam plant could be approx. ~~150 gm heavier than Krick plant.......however unsure if this would have any effect on the point of balance, or if any ballast was indeed carried with the Krick plant

Miniature Steam do not publish the weight of their 1 1/2" vertical gas tank nor their 1 1/4" vertical separator so a guestimations was made for these

Good to hear from you again ir3......so looking forward to the progress of both builds :-))........ 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.