Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with airbrush MAX DH-125  (Read 2218 times)

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
Problems with airbrush MAX DH-125
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:17:09 pm »

Hi

I'm having issues with my Sparmax DH-125, when in use it clogs up (little air and no paint) within 1 minute or so, and I have to tip out the paint and run cleaning fluid though it, then I can again use it for a minute or so and then the problem is back  >:-o

The airbrush is bought used together with a compressor and it was very dirty inside so I have cleaned it up and could I have drooped a rubber seal or some thing like that ?

BTW I'm using Valejo paint (not aircolor) and when I changed to my Badger 150 with the same batch of mixed paint I didn't have any problems  8)
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Problems with airbrush MAX DH-125
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:20:40 pm »

Hmmmm what pressure are you running the compressor and have you thinned the paint. Ps what size is the nozzle compared to the badger
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:45:03 pm »

Acrylics like Vallejo are notorious for clogging the needle tip, thin the paint 50/50 or even as much as 40paint 60 thinner. You can use water but its better to use Vallejo's own brand of thinner.

BUT the best thing and this is also advocated on plastic modelling groups as well as Vallejo youtube videos, is to put a couple of drops of flow improver into the cup as well, this really does help avoid the clogging, I use this technique myself. Vallejo also market the flow improver its around a fiver for a 100ml bottle.

The reason it happens is that acrylic paints are heavy in pigment and even though it is ground finely, you are still trying to squeeze it through a 0.2 or 03mm needle tip, the airflow is drying it as it leaves the tip. Also try and keep the pressure below 20psi, vallejo recommend 15psi - I find this too low unless using model air paint, even then it needs to be thinned somewhat.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 04:56:55 pm »

Here's another tip, I've just searched for a photo of your airbrush so it simple enough to see what I mean. Remove the very tip of the brush during use, just unscrew it. Use the brush without this tip, its basically there to protect the needle point.

There are two reasons for doing this, first you can get a very fine line this way, I mean like writing with a fountain pen fine, and it will still lay down a decent area about postage stamp size by moving the airbrush away from the work about 6 inches or so.

Secondly, and more pertinent to your problem is that you can pinch the tip between finger and thumb to remove semi dried paint. Just don't stab yourself on the needle, and be very careful on how you lay it down when done. Put the cap back on as soon as possible.

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 05:06:56 pm »

Compressor set at 20psi
MAX DH-125 Nozzle = 0,5mm
Badger 150 Nozzle =  0,5mm (Medium)
Paint is thinned with Valejo thinner medium approx 50-60% and a drop of retard medium and I just tipped the paint from the MAX to the badger and it worked. The badger uses more air than the MAX and I can see that I do have the same behaviour from the MAX when the Nozzle cap is loosened.

Hmmm maybe the former owner has played around with the Nozzle !

Think the next step is to buy a new Nozzle setup and a needle, it's only 20-22£ (and I don't know the exactly state of it)
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:08:37 pm »

A short update

It is difficult to get spare parts for this airbrush in Denmark  >>:-( and I can see a knockoff is going for the same price as the parts I need.

So I took it with me to work and inspected it in a microscope and it was dirty  <:( there were like an extra ring of some type of enamel in the tip of the nozzle, so this was cleaned and it works better, but still there are some issues so next step is to give it another round in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Until then I'll stay with my trusted Badger.

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 05:29:57 pm »

Well after a full strip-down and a week soaking in benzine, this is what came out of it.

Next week I'll test it again and hope it passes  :-)

One also have to remember that the second hand price for the airbrush and compressor were only approx. 50£ compressor price in DK is at 140£
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.