Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Ramborator Springer Tug - Motor Advice  (Read 2523 times)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Ramborator Springer Tug - Motor Advice
« on: December 30, 2017, 04:29:18 pm »

I am just working on the Ramborator model and am looking on advice on the motor and sourcing.

My initial view was either a 550 or 600 model -Any comments/advice on suitability?

The second part of the question is sourcing - can anyone recommend a good supplier?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aeronaut Ramborator Springer Tug - Motor Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:31:41 pm »

Member on this forum posted his build of a Ramborator kit a couple of years ago,search for posts by Phantom_Maloo.  I think you`l find it useful .  Motor size 540 adequate  ( MFA from Maplins ?)check if suppressors fitted , but better motor mount from Anglia Model Centre, see pics on their ebay site, metal or plastic, splined coupling ends without centre, same place and a few inches of glow engine exhaust silicon tube. etc etc    list of  other suppliers on Mayhem.   Gel cell batteries 6v  4.5amp/hrs from the component shop . co .uk see Maloo`s write-up , he doesn't show finished boat. He was on the forum in last few days, maybe worth a PM to him in Oz . ask him to post a pic of his finished boat. Keep looking for discarded large-ish toy trucks , dozers etc for easy conversion of top.
..well can you land on this?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:19:30 pm »

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:05:33 pm »

Many thanks Arrow5 / Tug Fanatic

At the moment I have just completed the base of the hull, the deck and (Some of) superstructure  so the next stage will be fitting the shaft and motor.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:12:49 pm »

Have you thought of using a different motor mount after seeing Maloo`s pictures and suggested changes ?  Seems to me that the bulwarks are at the wrong end of the boat. A bow breakwater between the push-knees at least, they do "wash the decks" very easily. What radio are you using ?   If 2.4 be sure to put receiver well above the waterline, in the deckhouse if possible. Be sure to waterproof the interior of hull with resin or paint before closing deck. Sanding sealer not the best for this.  See some ideas on youtube and some on local lochs in Spey Valley , Loch Insh etc.
..well can you land on this?

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:28 pm »

Arrow5,

At the moment I am prepping the hull for sealing and painting - however I think I will be waiting till next week for some of the materials to be delivered. I will be using multiple coats sanding sealer to provide a surface, followed by a primer coat and paint.  Sanding to do tomorrow :((  in prep for the sealer.

I am ordering a new RC set next week - so will probably go for a 2.4 GHz set.

Still working on the motor set up - however will be looking to take on some advice from some of the build logs I have been reading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.