Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Monitor M19  (Read 10005 times)

Lvlol

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Small Monitor M19
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 10:06:24 pm »

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I have a bomb cradle from a Zeppelin brought down at Salonika. It is mounted on a wooden plinth with a brass plate saying that it was presented to the crew of Monitor M19. I checked the National Archives and found that the M19 was indeed present and had fired at the Zeppelin. It was not responsible for bringing the Zeppelin down but was indeed involved in the action. This is why I have been trying to find out so much about her. I have not been able to find out much but think that I have a couple of pictures buried deep and some historical information that I could dig out for you. The book Big Gun Monitors has reference to this incident concerning Monitors of the same class but alas no mention as far as I can recall of the M19 in this specific action.

Best regards

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 10:09:48 pm »

Now you mention it I remember reading about this. The Buxton book is a brilliant tome.
Pond weed is your enemy

Lvlol

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 10:24:31 pm »

Yes it is a superb book!.

I will PM anything I have shortly.

Best regards

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:22 pm »

How do?

I have been dabbling with M19 these past weeks along with the destroyer and have started on the hull.

I have used a mix of kit parts for speed and some scratch built mounts as it was easier to make them than adjust the kit parts and also I like to whittle some wood now and again, its theraputic  :-)

The hull was prepared and parked for rudder and prop shafts and the holes cut.
Deans kindly sent me the two 6volt motors after purchasing the kit at last year's Wicksteed show and so I measured these and marked out the line of the prop shafts and the centres of the motor shafts onto half inch ply. The piece was cut into three with the relevant holes and slots cut before the pieces were epoxied together and Doped.

The bottom was sloped and rounded to sit in the hull at the right angle then epoxied in place.

The kit stuffing tubes were first epoxied in place before masking and applying P38 on the inside and then finishing outside with Milliput. A frames will be added.

The rudder tube was inserted and superglued using the rudder to hold the tube upright and in place. Then I used the idea I saw a fellow member use and placed a piece of plastic tube around the rudder tube and filled it with epoxy and added putty around the outside for insurance.

The tiller and boss were made as per those I made for HMS Ready, and I finally got the right size of Allen key for an M2 grub screw  :-)) .9mm is the size.

The servo mount was also made from ply, this time 6mm, and was doped and glued in place with P38.

Next up will be a first water test and ballasting and then deckwales.

More soon!
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 08:29:13 pm »

A soupson of progress today....

I turned a whole funnel, cap, ring and base piece in one on the lathe from Chemiwood.

The Cage and eyes were made from brass wire and superglued into holes drilled in the funnel body.

The payout of the superstructure is different for the monitors armed with the Mk VI gun with the bridge further back squeeing the searchlight between it and the funnel.

A parcel of J R Haynes fittings arrived this week inclucing a few bits for M19 (photo soon) so she is zooming along.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »

Really nicely created work there.  Nothing wrong with the basic tube / vac formings supplied, but for me too, I find the added personal detailing touches add so much to a finished model.  People may not see the funnel cage from alongside the original, but on a model it is so much more visible. Well done  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »

Thanks Bob  :-))

Today, after my attempts to cook with electronics  :(( I went home to sulk and did some stuff I understand on M19.

So, looking at the images in the kit instructions, the plans in the Buxton book and the photos, I found that yet again, there are differences on vent layout and skylight layout to watch out for. Initially, I saw what looked like little cloches with their gable ends facing the sides of the ship but further study showed that on some diesel powered monitors the skylights were transverse and back to back like monopoly houses rather than little out houses with one sloping roof. Images suggest also that they did not have scuttles in the lids, so I decided that it would be as quick to make some from .5mm styrene as it would to sand the kit parts flat and modify them.

The position of the Cowl vents and searchlight were marked and holes drillled to take them. The searchlight tracks and platform were added to the roof. I did wonder about making the searchlight movable, but it would probably have got lost so I will stick it on. These bits all have brass rods to secure the into the roof. The vents and searchlight are from J.R. Haynes and are lovely.

I have no gripes with Deans on these issues because I am daily more aware of just how diverse this small class of vessels was. There were four types of engine; two diesel, one parrafin and one steam, numerous styles of bridge, vent layout and even funnel design! It probably reflects the usual practice of allowing ship yards to build to the general spirit of the design rather than sticking rigidly to it.

To make everything better I made a load of Dutch pancakes with apple in. I made five and will have the last two for breakfast as they are rather filling  O0

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 10:23:02 pm »

Lots of progress made lately.

Photos to come soon along with first and second float test reports.

Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 05:59:26 pm »

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and hopefully seeing her for real at the Mayhem weekend  :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 12:00:30 pm »

Hi Ian,  Very nice work on the main gun it's worthy of being a model in it's own right, if the rest of the build is in this class which I'm sure it will be she's going to be a cracker.

Joe  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 12:32:25 pm »

I am not the biggest fan of fibre glass as it is both brittle and, if you are not careful, in levelling the edges up, you may keep removing stuff until the hull is more a canoe than a ship! I will pop some phtos up tonight.

Ta Joe  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 07:38:24 pm »

With Wicksteed approaching, I am trying to mix research with getting M19 finished.

The motors shafts and props were installed. A piece of wood backed with foam tape was screwed across the motors copying the principle offered in the kit. Trying to keep weight down and low has spread gubbins right through the hull, but it is better than her capsizing  <:(

I looked at doing the deckwales using styrene strip but could not see how to keep the hull edge symetrical so cut out a one piece deckwale and stretcher from 3mm ply leaving large holes to access the innards. It was stuck in place with Epoxy, P38 and a bit of superglue.

The same was done for the forecastle. After this was fitted, the bath test was done. She was powered up and I found to my delight that Deans had provided handed propellers explaining why I could not get her to sail the good sea Bathtime without trying to turn around. Ballasting was done with lead flashing.

I duly worked out which prop was which, refitted them and then resoldered the wires on one motor the other way around.
Bath test 2 was a success with good speed and a good strong 'Bonk' when she hit the foot end of the bath  :-))

Images shows the Battery in sheath to help pull it out of the bows withut tugging the leads about, Podium ESC, (which is really for a car but I am sure the ABS will not be a problem and may even help when sailing around corners), Planet RX on the other side powered through the ESC (Thankyou for your assistance teaching me this fact).

A couple photos of the Foc'sle deck marked for where the fittings will go.

These include an array of vents (see below) as well as anchor handling equipment. The breakwater was fitted at this point. The curved base came straight from the kit while the actual breakwater was made a new using the kit part as a template (original was too short).

We have discussed recently on how ships of a certain class can differ in detail, and boy does M19 differ! I was cleaning up vents to fit to the foc'sle and then though to look at a good image of M19 in the 'Buxton Bible'. Here I found no fewer then three types, maybe four, of vent. She has a large cowl vent, two small ones and an interesting squared cowl vent. Assuming there was still a single mushroom vent fitted there, I made them.

The above vent was made from chemiwood and is as high as the small cowl vents.

The two small cowl vents were made from pieces of plastic kit sprue by cutting the corner sections off, shaping and drilling the ends of the cowls.

The large one is a spare one ordered from J R Haynes.

Altogether they make the bows look like an architectural salvage yard, which is quite pleasing  :}

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 09:55:46 pm »

Bouyed up by my visit to Wicksteed a couple of weeks ago, I got back to working on M19 and HMS Ready (qv).

The funnel recvieved it's remaining detail in the form of vent tubes though I am not sure what function they perform on a Diesel powered boat? Also, a brass etched ladder was fittted.

All done, she was primed in the old style Humbrol 64 which was much greener and is very pleasing to look at so I have been mixing my own versions f it from acrylic. The tin was from an ancient box load given me by an acquaintance and it shows why we look for large containers of paint, by boxes of tinlets or enjoy a bit of variation, which is not a bad thing if it can be done neatly.

The bandstand for the reserve conning position was built from a disc of styrene stood upon a web of strip styrene to form the supports. This was scribed on top to look like it was planked. I read here and there that at this time certain parts of a ship were built from brass when near to a Pelorus.

The Pelorus is from the kit. I am generally pleased with the fittings from Deans marine. I do think they just need to keep an eye on the quality of some of their flatter ites such as doors and gun shoulder stocks etc.

More soon.
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 08:53:22 pm »

Further along, I have begun adding details to the superstructure and making the masts.

The funnel needs its stays anchored to both the upper deck and the rear of the bridge and so eyes were made from brass wire bent into a loop with a tail that goes into the deck or bridge.

The Pelorus was fitted on its bandstand and what I presume is a rack of life preservers was also fitted.

The eyes on the bridge can be seen here on the bridge now fitted to the superstructure.

The searchlight has been added to its trolley, the rails having been painted 'Oily steel' (Vellejo).

Other details had been fitted before painting such as the etched ladders. One of the various lockers can be seen to the right part painted.

And finally for now, I made the masts. As with so much else on this class of vessel, the masts all varied somewhat, so I built mine based on reference. I am quite proud of these using part of the kits supply of brass tube and brass rods and wire bought for stock. The loops were again shaped from .5mm brass wire and all the parts were soldered together using a mixture of solder paste and traditional solder. Apart fom one case of 'Dry joint' it all went together well.

More soon:O)

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 09:24:53 pm »

Good evening folks,

I have done a bit more to the monitor by way of detailing and assembling the boats provided in the kit.

There is a dinghy and an example of the ubiquitous 27foot whaler both of vac formed styrene. I added frames to the insides and plank effects to the exterior. The Whaler went a bit awry and may be scraped and re-planked.

The semaphore mast, redundant for this project, will be fitted to the M class destroyer.
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 08:42:00 pm »

Evening folks.

My camera died so I can describe some progress I have made and you can imagine what I am wittering about.

You will recall M19's eclectic vent arrangement. It turns out that she suffered a gun explosion some time whilst in the Med, and this destroyed the gun, gunhouse and I presume the foredeck furnishings, and would explain why she had a variety of vents if she just got what fleet stores had to offer at the time of her repair.

Her stern mounted 12 pounder had a shield fitted, which I have made from .5mm styrene mounted to the pintle with a cradle of 1.5mm styrene pinned with brass rods.
Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 09:57:44 pm »

Here are two shots of the shield fitted to the stern 12 pounder.

Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 10:51:50 pm »

I understand the shields were fitted...[in some circumstances].....however they certainly hide all of the detailed machinery of trade of the Gunners. <*<.....

{So see if our Northern Australian Gunner man picks up :o on this}   
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:40 am »

Nice work Ian

Looks like you’ve got your modelling mojo back. :-))

Nick B

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2017, 01:02:49 pm »

Hi Ian,  Just noticed it's been a year since you started this log, I like the way you pace yourself and take time to get it looking as you want it, though I'm guessing you have more demands on your time than I do, I can pretty much work on a model anytime I want, so I try to discipline myself to take time away from modeling, have to say though M19 is looking good, I love detail that you have to look for, though windows or inside a gun shield etc.

ATB    Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 03:29:51 pm »

I collect and paint wargames models as well and also,doing it as a job, I just get fed up with things and 'faff' for periods.

I am trying not to go to extremem lengths with detailing, but M19 has so much that is unique to her compared with M15 that it is a challenge and enjoyable. I wanted to get HMS Ready completed last year but electrics and being new to them did bash my courage at times.

More soon :O)
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2017, 05:28:13 pm »

Electrics are most modellers nemesis. I've learnt both the hard way and the easy one and nothing smells worse than burning electrics!
We had an issue with our fifth model which was supposed to have dual motor control using a F-14 Navy Tx but both throttle sticks controlled the motors together. It really perplexed us until we discovered that the motor mount straps were touching via a screw and was creating a new circuit by itself! :o
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:36 pm »

Oops  :((
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.