Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LiPo charger problem  (Read 3050 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
LiPo charger problem
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:42:55 pm »

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but can anyone help?  I have a GT Power A606-D charger which has worked perfectly for several years but has now decided to give me an error message whenever I try and use it.  The message is "TEMP OVER ERR" which, the book of words tells me, means the internal temperature is too high and I should "cool down the unit".  But it isn't too hot because this happens as soon as I apply power to the unit.  Is there any way I can disable this alarm as at the moment I cannot charge my batteries.   {:-{

(The instructions above the display are my own addition from when it was new and I was finding my way around.)

I can't remember where I bought it - Component Shop perhaps? - so asking the vendor is a bit tricky.

Help!  My only solution at the moment is to spend £££.  >:-o

Oh, Happy New Year!  :}

Greg

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LiPo charger problem
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:52:21 pm »

Does it have any ventilation slots? If it does it may be worth giving them a hoover or blasting some air through them.

Barrie

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:32 pm »

The charger has a 3-pin port for an external temperature probe. That is where to start looking.
The probe may comprise be a wire ended LM334. The probe feeds back a voltage, proportional to temperature, back to the main device which can be a charger or multimeter.

Update!
Check what button-pushing does  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7cANz9cIlc&t=23s

And https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4n71BdokE shows the probe used is a wire ended LM35.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:04:58 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys.  Had the box open, no obvious muck or broken bits so I assume it is a failure of some component(s).  Can't play with the buttons because the error message appears immediately and overrides everything else.

Life's too short - time to spend some money!  :((

Greg

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:40:04 pm »

The charger has a 3-pin port for an external temperature probe. That is where to start looking.
The probe may comprise be a wire ended LM334. The probe feeds back a voltage, proportional to temperature, back to the main device which can be a charger or multimeter.

Update!
Check what button-pushing does  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7cANz9cIlc&t=23s

And https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4n71BdokE shows the probe used is a wire ended LM35.

There are two sensors on these 4 button chargers. One internal which makes sure the charger doesn't overheat, and the one you described which monitors battery temperature.

SailorGreg, It appears the internal sensor has failed on this unit, so you would have to pull the charger apart and look for any cracked/bad solder joints. I'd imagine a new sensor would be fairly cheap, but all this assumes you are handy with a soldering iron.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:59:57 pm »

Does it have any ventilation slots? If it does it may be worth giving them a hoover or blasting some air through them.

Barrie

Never ever blow air into a unit with a fan in. When the fan turns it can generate power which can backfeed the circuit!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:12:59 pm »

There are two sensors on these 4 button chargers. One internal which makes sure the charger doesn't overheat, and the one you described which monitors battery temperature.

SailorGreg, It appears the internal sensor has failed on this unit, so you would have to pull the charger apart and look for any cracked/bad solder joints. I'd imagine a new sensor would be fairly cheap, but all this assumes you are handy with a soldering iron.
Yes, I was going to point that out depending on the reply. I scoured the internet for more info and even took my only 4-button one apart. I suspect there is only provision for the internal 3-pin semiconductor sensor in mine at test points 1,2 &3, close to the case-mounted power devices.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:48:01 pm »

Thanks again for all the effort on this. Yes, I guess it is the internal sensor that has failed but I couldn't see any obvious breaks or damage inside. That just about exhausted my knowledge of electronic circuits. Problem now solved though - I am a little poorer and Component Shop a little richer.   :-))

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.