The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build

(1/38) > >>

dlancast:
Well folks,  here we go again, with my next project.  The USS Ranger CV-4 static build at 1/350 scale. Kit is again from Trumpeter with photo-etch detail enhancement.  I have just cracked the box open and have started work on the hull by preparing her for bottom paint.  I will provide pictures shortly, but am starting off right out of the gate with a question for you folks.  This model kit is showing her color scheme with the 1945 period "Razzle-Dazzle" camo config.  I have mixed feeling about it and the look, plus having to mask and hand brush all those different geometric patterns on the hull sides, etc.  It would be stunning and unique in appearance, but my feelings are that I would like to show the Ranger as she would have been post 1942 vintage which had the standard G-5 (?) type dark blue/grey color, pretty much like all the other US Naval ships of ww2 that I have been building.  I'm not afraid to take on the challenge of that camo paint schem.  I'll take a poll from you good folks as to what you think I should do with it.  More later.  Dennis

ballastanksian:
While I love the razzle dazzle, I would see if it distracts the eye from other detail such as aircraft etc. Give it a go, it will probably be the only carrier in the narrative you do in such a scheme, so it won't be one of a whole chore load to contemplate. I expect you can make your life eaier by pmasking and painting the hull before you add too many details so there is little risk of damage from hungry tape.

dlancast:
Yes, that would be the plan to paint the hull early in the game.  I think there are about 5 different colors going on and alot of masking.  Still thinking on this  It is very striking in appearance... from light grey to black, dark blue, med. blue, etc.  I wonder how effective it was as camo in real life?  Dennis

Bob K:
I would imagine very effective Dennis.  Painting camo at that scale sounds even more challenging than your previous carriers.  Good luck I shall be watching with interest.

dlancast:
Ok, unless something I find out from further research directs me otherwise, I will paint on the camo.  I haven't learned how to spray paint (yet), so this will all have to be hand brushed with masking.  It was the challenge part that hooked me.  I love a challenge.  Its this thing I have... if I can still get this old mind of mine to keep going, then I'll keep going... make any sense? Cheers!  :-)  Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version