The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Any Other Builds

Mantua Bruma

(1/3) > >>

manofkent:
I have had a search of the archives and found some useful info regarding Hull Planking.  I am, however, having some difficulty on visualising some of the planking on my new build Bruma. The pic shows state so far and once my left eye recovers from recent surgery (Vitrectomy) I will start the hull planking. What I am having trouble visualising is the area of lower stern aft of the Bulkhead frame carrying the prop shaft support.  Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

Ianlind:
I'm thinking if you were to move this to another topic like "Beginners Start Here", you might get more lookers and therefore more chance of help.
Just my thoughts as I only found this by accident, as it's well outside the more popular topics.
Ian.

manofkent:
Will try to do that, although it has been viewed 153 times.

dougal99:
I would think that planking the stern with what looks like a very distinct curve would be quite difficult. The planks would probably need additional bulkheads to support the required curve. In this situation I have resorted to carving block balsa after terminating the planking at the last bulkhead. All my planking efforts have been scratch builds not kits so I've had no qualms going that route. You may think differently. Good luck.

SailorGreg:
That looks an interesting challenge. Clearly the prop shaft support has to end up outside the planking. Presumably Mantua expect you to stop the planking one side of the support and continue it on the other, which strikes me as both difficult and unnecessary. There isn't even anywhere to land the planks on the aft side of the support. If it was my model I would scrap that support piece, run the planking all the way to the stern and make a new support fixed to the outside of the hull when you have finished and faired the planks. Regarding planking the tight curves at the stern, how you address that depends a little on the planking material.  If it is reasonably flexible, some pre-bending between the fingers can help, or perhaps use a plank bender to nip the plank into shape. or even follow full size practice and steam the planks to get the bend in place.  Or, indeed, do as Dougal99 suggests and simply fill that last space with a block of balsa and carve to shape.

Remember - it's all part of the fun!   O0

Greg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version