The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

3 Pounder High Angle gun in 1:96th

(1/2) > >>

ballastanksian:
Evening chaps.

This is a deviation from the two models I am working on but forms part AA defence for a future project but I wanted to get it completed to clear drawer space at work.

It is a standard 3 pounder 'saluting' gun mounted onto a pintle mounting to gain high angle elvation for AA duties. It was partially superseded  by the 2 pounder 'Pom poms' (qv).

I was surprised at how many warships carried the gun as AA defence and that both France and Germany developed single shot AA weapons of around this size into the thirties. Bismark had twin 37mm mountings (see Tomasz' Bismark build) and France had single and multiple 47mm mountings.

Thankyou to all fellow members who put their thinking caps on and helped me a couple of years ago with researching this gun. I will pop some pictures up of an assembled and painted one in a few weeks.

ballastanksian:

Here is an image of one assembled and painted.

philk:
came through crewkerne today where do you sail

ballastanksian:

Hi Phil,

I sail at a pond north of Yeovil on the A37 Yeovil to Ilchester road. You access it via a road through the carpark of the Halfway House Inn.

I hope you had a safe trip home? There seemed to be some eegits on the motorways today  {:-{

philk:
Thanks will look it up spend a fair bit of time at in-laws in Lyme Regis. Main eegitts seem to be staring at Stonehenge instead of just driving by. My pet hate 8 miles of crawling traffic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version