Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ellesmere Port boat show  (Read 7272 times)

Lifeboat 70-001

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Ellesmere Port boat show
« on: January 19, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »

There seems to be some confusion regarding Ellesmere Port model boat show 2018. This show is ON the first weekend in March as always. The canal museum is putting it on.

Gardener

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ellesmere Port boat show
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:22 pm »

Heard at my local club night it was off !

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:37:30 pm »

Well as one of the Clubs who display at the show We have not been asked, Informed or advised, and judging by the fact NO other clubs Or Traders have mentioned this nor have they.

Where do you get your information from.? As I get mine from the Normal Organisers.

I can See no Info on the Trusts site so is this FAKE NEWS.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 07:43:09 pm »

A friend of mine who is a trader who always attends the show as been told not to attend as the show is NOT going ahead .

Dave    :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:47:52 pm »

If this is correct I would Love to see how the Museum are going to pull this off as they keep filling spaces with museum displays which is fine as that what a museum is for.

However I suspect it is Not.

New Poster.
1st Post and not providing any credentials..  Ummmmm

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 08:27:36 pm »

A friend of mine who is a trader who always attends the show as been told not to attend as the show is NOT going ahead .

I heard the same from Mark at MMB, he said he had an email from the organisers confirming its not on.....

Paul

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:12 pm »

We at the Bury club have been told that it was on, then it s off, on again then on Sunday told that it was off due to lack of traders expressing a interest?

One of our members ordered some items from a trader who normally attends said he had had his deposit returned???

If anyone can confirm whether it is on or off please let us know???

Slinger

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:07 pm »

We at the Bury club have been told that it was on, then it s off, on again then on Sunday told that it was off due to lack of traders expressing a interest?

One of our members ordered some items from a trader who normally attends said he had had his deposit returned???

Slinger

As I said in my earlier posts, No Clubs to my knowledge have been asked, The organiser is a member on this Forum and I am sure would have been all over on this if it was on.

The OP needs to come back on here and say where they got the information from, I would also say if no posts from the OP within the next few hours then this thread needs deleting as a waste of Forum space.....

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:26:07 pm »

Slinger

Nobody has approached us about attending this in any way shape or form...........
Carl
Linkspan Models

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 09:31:38 pm »

Have it on good authority no show.

Stan

Lifeboat 70-001

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 12:21:18 am »

Strange all this but it's even on the canal museums  own site, a friend of mine in the area at a club Also said its on and that was only a week ago and cracked other clubs in the area to see what their event pages said with dates on them, I'm only saying what I know and been told.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 02:19:10 am »

Life boat - if you are going to make such a statement about a show being on when everybody knows it is not then at least

Please provide the link on the Canal Museum website where it shows it is on.

Not sure who told you from your local club that it is on as it is not.

Also I have also checked local clubs sites and there is no mention of it being on for 2018.

A I said before if the Museum are putting on the show it might help if they inform the clubs and traders it is on as at the moment they have not.

Lifeboat 70-001

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 08:34:36 am »

Long build, it was not MY local club that told me but a club from up the Wirral area. I did not dream this up. The museum web site DID put it on there but looks like it's been removed and a few Mbc's had it on their events page and now been removed. Like I said I only know what I was told and read.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:17:46 am »

Hi
I do not doubt what you think you saw , however it has NOT been on any Club Websites or the Museum Website for 2018 as no dates have ever been issued, and I seriously doubt that all the webmasters were looking at this site last night and then removed them.
Yes I realise it was not someone from your local club but the Runcorn Group but again they have all been told since last year it was not on.

I can only suggest that you are reading details about the 2017 show.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 09:32:29 am »

We have received the following respose

Sent: 14 December 2017 14:49
Subject: National Waterways Museum - Spring Model Boat Show 2018 - Cancellation of the Event

Dear Model Boat Trader

You will have received previous emails from me inviting you to attend the March 2018 Model Boat Show being organised next year by the museum.  Many thanks to those of you who have booked or registered expressions of interest.  However, after the closing date for bookings last Monday we had only received a small number of positive returns.  In the light of this and considering the consequent likely support from the model boat clubs in the area, it has been reluctantly decided to cancel the event.

We are not now confident that we could guarantee a viable number of visitors both from the museum's standpoint and that of the traders who had agreed to attend.  Those traders who have made firm bookings will have their cheques returned in the next couple of days.  We are all very sorry that we have had to take this decision but it was felt that, if we were going to host such an event, we would want to ensure that it was going to be a success for everyone concerned.

Perhaps in the future, we can revisit the possibility of organising an event on different lines that will be attractive to the model boating community.

Kind regards

Chris Kay

Event Organising Team

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 02:18:42 pm »

Thanks for that, at least is sheds some light on the original post and as he says it may have been on the trust's website early this year.  However as part of the Committee for our group we have had no correspondence from the trust at all..

I feel this is a knee jerk reaction from the trust now realising the loss of potential visitors to the Museum at what is probably a quiet time of the year.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 09:46:30 am »

It is a real shame this show has been cancelled, Ellsmere was the first show I attended years ago and
The first kit I purchased was from Mountfleet models,Owner Frank Hinchcliff even accompanied me
To the other traders to make sure I bought the right motor, propellor, prop shaft etc,
What a smashing bloke he was.As i say, I used to look forwards to this show so I hope they have
A rethink for next year

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:45 am »

No good the Museum bleating on about lack of trade support - they have NEVER contacted us!!!!

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 12:24:01 pm »

I concur with the long build..........quite categorically, the show is not on..my friend had taken me to new brighton a couple of weeks or so ago to see friends, and he went on to the lake..........got talking with a man sailing a tug and they got chatting about the show. he was the ex chairman of the Ellesmere port model boat club............and he gave my friend the low down.........the new proprietor has been trying to get the show gone since he took over a couple of years or so ago, making it very difficult for the club with storage and such, and so the club said that if this is what he wants and they no longer feel welcome, then they have decided that the show is NO MORE.

They worked out that over the past 30 years of the show running twice a year, the museum would have made in door foot fall and café turn over, at least £90,000.00p.......there's no fathoming some management's stupidity!!

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Gardener

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 01:04:32 pm »

Maybe people (museum, local clubs, traders etc) need to start talking NOW and working together to put the show on next year ?
This should surely be in the interest of all parties concerned ...

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 02:36:33 pm »

the new proprietor has been trying to get the show gone since he took over a couple of years or so ago, making it very difficult for the club with storage and such, and so the club said that if this is what he wants and they no longer feel welcome, then they have decided that the show is NO MORE.[/size]

Thought it was the Canal and Rivers Trust (formerly British Waterways) that ran the Museum. I stand to be corrected though Jim.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 03:09:32 pm »

like everything these days Ned, someone owns something, ie BWB, or Canal and Rivers Trust as you say [ I live behind the times] in this case.............and they lease it out to someone else, or the whole thing would end up derelict like it was 40/50 odd years or more ago.........but like the idiot who leased the Fleetwood pier site and didn't have insurance on the property but wanted to demolish the pier buildings and build high priced retirement flats on the site after it mysteriously burned down taking the 140 year old pier structure with it, there are rumours that someone wants to turn the buildings into des res flats............only rumours though. >:-o

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 05:32:16 pm »

Maybe people (museum, local clubs, traders etc) need to start talking NOW and working together to put the show on next year ?
This should surely be in the interest of all parties concerned ...

But would have helped if perhaps the Clubs had been notified in the first place, as it would appear from the email from Chris that only some traders had been invited no mention of clubs.. Maybe some clubs had been invited, but from the various posts it would seem not.
As far as we and I would assume most of the Modelling community were aware this show was not happening in 2018  Full stop.

I am only speculating but I wonder if this was only going to be traders invited and then pay to enter for all others !

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 08:31:03 am »

Well reading all the comments it seems like a big mistake has been made by the current
Management team, which when the auditors have done the books at the end of the financial
Year they will be asking questions why they are running at a loss and require funding to keep
The museum open.

John

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:01 am »

They've lost the Marine Modelling Society as well. We now meet in the Holiday Inn. They appear to have more arty flatulence things going on, run by people who have been to university to learn how to do such things and lecture us plebs that, this is the way to proceed to a more fulfilling life- not toy boats route and thereby expunge our guilt for and the nasty things we've said and done to the so called lesser peoples and creature's who also inhabit this azure coil that is wondering through infinite space.

LB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.