Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesro airboat  (Read 8364 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Lesro airboat
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:44:28 pm »

Did anyone build a Lesro Airboat?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Lesro airboat
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:00:17 pm »

Not yet - but I have an unbuilt kit on the shelf just waiting for a couple of other projects to move aside.  :}  Should be done just as the pond weed starts to make an appearance!  Brushless motor of course, none of that noisy smelly internal combustion stuff for me. Some interesting variations from the stock design in those photos. Must remember to check them again when the time comes!

Greg

danagnos

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:44:47 am »

Hello from Greece!

I built this model a long time ago, must have been at least 14-15 years.  I was always surprised of how well it "flew" over water... I used an ASP .46 engine and 2 extra old 9.6 transmitter batteries up front for counter balance..

Does this company still exist?  Do they still make this model?  I would love to build it for my son...

Any contact details would be highly appreciated! :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:51 pm »

I don't think they are made any more.... not sure if anyone makes Airboats any more!

They do come up on Ebay from time to time....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rc-air-boat/232869202241?hash=item3638160941:g:LA4AAOSwfPFbNPp-    :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

danagnos

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:08:32 pm »

Yes, I saw this one too, but it is electric and heavily modified I am afraid..

As I have an r/c airplane background, I find the smell of nitro intriguing even on a boat :)

Only Dumas make (wooden) kits, apart from that there are hardly any other airboat models.. 

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:43:08 am »

I don't think they are made any more.... not sure if anyone makes Airboats any more!

They do come up on Ebay from time to time....

What s mean Martin?
 there are several around albeit not kits

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 11:50:26 pm »

There are some airboat plans By Vic Smeed on Outerzone,Derek's  plans list etc. My favourite was/is Pond Skater a 3 float skeleton frame with air rudder. Went like the clappers once I increased the down thrust.Before that it just sat in the water and chugged. What a difference once the adjustment was made. A few have been R/Ced with IC and electric power. Go on have a go and have fun. P.S. Skidder and Scudder were two more.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 02:37:38 pm »

A question for those who have built and run a Lesro airboat - how do you get it to behave ??!!
I built my kit a little while ago and fitted a 900 kv brushless motor (this one) together with a 10" 3 blade prop.  I left out all the internal trays provided in the kit and made my own servo and battery mounts. It went very quickly but at full throttle was uncontrollable, and at much less throttle was difficult to steer (lack of airflow over the rudders I guess).  Initially I made some larger rudders but that did not improve things.  I changed down to a 9" 2 blade prop, but again it was virtually impossible to get to run straight and turn in a controlled way (small imputs don't have any effect, large ones cause it to spin quickly). Tried out on an empty lake, full throttle and no steering input results in the boat running continuous circles.  Trying to straighten it up leads to worrying random manoeuvres!  A fellow member has the same boat and his behaves in a similar fashion (although he has the same motor and a similar prop, so perhaps that's to be expected).

Anyone else found the same?  I wonder if I need to ballast it down as it was originally designed for IC engine and a tank of fuel, although my 4000 mAh lipo probably weighs what the fuel would. Perhaps too much torque (although I would have thought an IC engine would produce something akin to my brushless motor)?

I had imagined that the tunnel hull would want to track in a straight line but it doesn't, at least not how I have built it.  At the moment this is no fun to run (especially with other boats in the vicinity!) and I would rather like to sort it out. Any suggestions?

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 02:47:38 pm »

Hi I think it looks like it could take your finger's off .Needs a good shield around the prop cheers John V

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:11 pm »

Don't expect too much of  the Leso Airboat has a Very Basic hull shape as you know and a very old design. It was never meant  for all the high power engines and motors we throw at it. I used a bog-standard OS 40 FSR engine which was quite heavy and about as much power as the whole boat could handle!  Anything more than manufacture recommended and you are in the realms of Chuck Yeager....

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 08:01:37 pm »

They look bloomin scary to me......... {:-{
Steamed up all the time

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 02:18:40 pm »

Extend the vee 1/2" downwards to create a keel. If too much reduce it til you are happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.