Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: XRAD'S Land Rover D100  (Read 7041 times)

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
Re: XRAD'S Land Rover D100
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 12:10:29 am »

Also in retrospect, I could have used pololu RC switches. ~5$ each and already have isolated power RC side from duty side. I ordered a few for next project.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 01:52:05 pm »

If you want to add some sound to your model, here is basic explanation.  On the left is the servo 'switch.' I would recommend a pololu RC switch instead of the servo board.  I hooked in an LED so that I could monitor the switch action. Next is the sound board wt588d (16mb version). Yellow wire is the sound board trigger connected to the transistor.  Sound board has 8 or 9 other 'neg to ground' triggers or hundreds if you use a digital/arduino type control unit.  Third board from left is the 2.5watt amp w/twisted pair for speaker.  Then last on right is the 5v 3amp regulator.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 03:14:24 am »

Made some mods to the horn. I was getting a bit of interference with the servo mod and the engine sound speakers. So out with the modified servo board and in with a Pololu RC switch low-sid MOSFET. Very nice unit.  Super cheap and super easy to use.  It is programmable, but not necessary with a Spektrum Tx. Servo freq. worked fine as already set in the RC switch. 

I had to create a pull to ground to fire the sound board as explained above, so this was done by using the two NEGATIVE side solder lugs on the board. One is connected to the yellow wire for the wt588d trigger, and other one connected to common ground for vehicle. ALSO, you will need to solder the power jumper on the RC switch if using one power source.  The blue LED is now unhooked as it ran off the servo board. Everything else stays the same, including 5v regulator to power amp and sound board.

Added an FPV cam to the D100. It's located on roof of passenger seating area.  Hood mounted tire is a bit in the way but you get used to it..... Good view in the dark.  I used an eachine ev800d with built in DVR. Worked fine after formatting the microSD card to FAT32 and  'automatic' and giving it a very short name.  NOTE: the vid is recorded in .avi and the sound does not play on all movie players.  Much on the net about the sound not recording, but it works fine on headset playback and using windows media player.   Sound is terrible, but I will eventually redesign the Tx built in mic which may be the issue. If it is in the headset board, then that will not be fixed. Video is very good for the most part, and frame rate is very fast. No hesitation when recording and a fairly steady picture for being bounced around on the ground! Only drawback so far is that the on screen 'battery' indicator is NOT accurate at all. Comes with a nice 12v 500ma wall charger. Supposed to get ~1 hour of run w/record time on the built in battery.

See videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQlRjlMw8IE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyQUeXktjw

Lots of wires...long time to get all configured...Clover antenna for video Tx. Folds down when not using.  Camera is not too obtrusive. I plan to put a few on my RC boats.  The horn really is just perfect for this scale. Sound is loud and clear, much better than in the vids. I also added  'Main' and 'camera' on/off switches. 'Main' powers all the ancillaries, and 'camera' just powers the camera.  One major reason I chose this particular camera/Tx combo is that the cam and Tx are separate and easily remotely mounted from each other.  There is also a ~3" extension for the antenna, making mounting it much easier. Finally, the cam and Tx run off another Pololu 5v 2.5 amp voltage regulator hidden with the Tx in another little 3D printed black box on rear corner of roof.

First pic is camera and Tx and 5v regulator in black tape. Next is the horn unit with new pololu RC switch.  Final pics show the video Tx antenna and new back up spotlight. 

John RC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Super Smashing Great!
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 02:31:32 pm »

Great build :-))

I knocked my D90 together with a Tamiya crawler CR01 chassis.

Petrified of getting it dirty :embarrassed:

Perfection is the enemy of Excellence. Now where are those rivets .......1......2......3......

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 06:52:19 pm »

Nice paint on the LR body!  Had some drive shaft issues running the big hills near home.  Seems that when I trimmed down the steel driveshaft (chinabay brand) that the 'D' only goes about 8mm or so deep into the tube.  Did not notice until today that I had only about 1mm left after trimming but this stripped out.  Now  getting the more expensive but much better GDS brand where the grooves and splines are deeper (depending on the length) and more length choices.....

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 02:01:15 am »

Fixed the driveshaft. Just heated up till red hot and hammered a D shape into it, then cooled in oil. Held up fine.  Bought a Radiolink 6 channel Tx. Came with Rx for same price as 6 channel Rx only from spectrum!  Works GREAT and extra Rx's are super cheap. Just print the guide off the net. So far zero issues and very easy to use.  Main menu and sub menus all 'loop' which is a nice feature. one button to view 'all' channels and functionality.  I had to add a three position 2 way switch to channel 'C." easy to do. Now my winch works again!  %%   

Needed 5 channel min for : thr, str, horn, extra lights, and winch

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 02:51:44 am »

I also added a 2.5amp regulated 5v pololu power supply for the winch instead of running it through the Rx.  Just cut the power line from the winch Rx control unit plug and add the power from the pololu unit. Ground remains the same back to the Rx. This new power line also has a dedicated on/off manual switch(sub switch to main manual switch) in case I don't want it accidentally triggered. The extra lights and horn also have dedicated regulated 5v power from battery through a main manual switch. Only the low amp triggers are connected to the Rx.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 12:54:55 am »

wrong post
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.