Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: South America 5 - A Very Fast Car Ferry!!!! 410ft long & 44mph Monohull!!!!  (Read 1901 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer

I found this which ferries between Buenos Aires & Montevideo.

When I first saw Silvia Ana I couldn't really believe what I was seeing. A large conventional mono hull car ferry that appeared to be going at least as fast as some model boats owners like their models to move! A car ferry with what appears to be a rooster tail is slightly unusual for me anyway so I took a really long range picture on a 37C day. The other two were taken as it came into, & then left port.  A little research  suggested a top speed of  38knots or 44mph! She is 410 feet long and has a gross tonnage of nearly 8000tonnes.

This would make a really unusual model.

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSC_Silvia_Ana_L

Google Images:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1486&bih=802&ei=g1JuWs_OF8T2gQbZ94rwCg&q=silvia+ana+ferry&oq=silvia+ana+ferry&gs_l=img.12...1551.14501.0.16211.19.15.0.4.0.0.111.1139.11j3.14.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.12.921.0..0j0i30k1j0i8i30k1.0.woWEif2o-8E

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer

Some may remember Finnjet, a similar ferry with a penchant for speed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTS_Finnjet

It’s surprising there aren’t more high speed car ferries, the cost of the Dunoon-Gourock car ferry I’m surprised the bloody thing didn’t sprout wings and take off for the majority of the journey.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!

Interesting boat and with 33900KW gross power !!!

Canabus

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer

Look at the dirt on the stern sides , & the disturbance at the waterline , underwater exhaust discharge ? With 6 C A T engines those two 'Funnels' on the topside are inadequate . . .
Bill

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

while she is fast at 38 knots . In terms of high speed car ferrys it not that fast . The Stena HSS were quicker at 48 knots and a lot bigger. Incat have just made a new car ferry for south america with a top speed of 52 knots . That is moving some .

John

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer

To be fair though, neither of those are monohulls.

P.S. I was quite tickled by the original version of that post listing the HSS with a top speed of 487kn  {-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

typo then i spotted  it . But that would be fast . The water jets on the HSS used to shift 29000 Liters I Think a second each at near full power .

john

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer

I know that cats are quicker but this thing is really impressive when you see it. A very big monohull going at this speed  really is something.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!

Hi cos 918
Yes I know about the Incat beast as I can view their sheds from my back deck !!!!

Canabus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.