Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay drops PayPal  (Read 3697 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Ebay dumps PayPal
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:11:47 pm »

in 2020. long time to go yet.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:43:14 pm »

Most retailers would be pretty short sighted to stop accepting PP as a payment option even Fleabay is going to continue with it as an option.  Personally I wouldn't worry about this too much.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:46:07 pm »

Reading the article, I get the idea that eBay is becoming a smaller and smaller part of PPs overall business. eBay will have payment options, including PP by the look of it. However, a new company will take over the card payment services for eBay.
Paypal will still be a major force in the market. I would not be surprised if PP was aquired by Alipay or Tencent between now and 2020.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:07:12 pm »

I got an email notification from EBay this morning whch confirmed it was happening but over an extended timescale.

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:21:35 pm »

They actually parted ways a few years ago. Ebay made paypal a separate enterprise rather than in house. As Paypal seems to be the defacto online payment method nowadays, I can't see ebay dumping it.

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:22:10 pm »

Reading the article, I get the idea that eBay is becoming a smaller and smaller part of PPs overall business. eBay will have payment options, including PP by the look of it. However, a new company will take over the card payment services for eBay.
Paypal will still be a major force in the market. I would not be surprised if PP was aquired by Alipay or Tencent between now and 2020.

Have to agree. Paypal is just such a convenient way of sending money about that it stands up on its own as a valuable service, even without ebay.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:18 pm »

Have to agree. Paypal is just such a convenient way of sending money about that it stands up on its own as a valuable service, even without ebay.

The figures in the last paragraph say it all. Ebay net worth 42billion, Paypal 102billion. Paypal will survive without ebay but will ebay survive without paypal?

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:36:48 pm »

Exactly.. As double security, I only use PayPal on eBay which is tied to my credit card.

If PayPal goes, it will be interesting to see what the new company will be like..

The figures in the last paragraph say it all. Ebay net worth 42billion, Paypal 102billion. Paypal will survive without ebay but will ebay survive without paypal?

RST

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:21:58 am »

Took me about 10 years of convincing to use Ebay and Paypal.  Paypal split is very old news now but I must admit I got the same E-Mail from ebay about the time of this post.  I won't be using anything other than Paypal for a good while yet and glad to see Ebay will still support it.  Quite frankly I was growing more upset with constant urges for "seamless" payments on EBay and never linked my accounts when every bank is ramming down my throat every day to be more careful and have split accounts, passwords etc.  I'm not sure where this is going over the next few years but we'll see how it pans out I guess.  Interesting news but nothing to worry about at the moment anyway.

boatsdelboy2

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 06:45:28 pm »

Hi all I agree with rst and have always felt comfortable with PP

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ebay drops PayPal
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 03:24:36 pm »

Ebay is going to start its own payment system and I'm lead to believe they will be in direct competition with Paypal and if nobody thinks this will happen or will effect paypal in the long term think again 87% of all Paypal transactions are still done via ebay so if ebay started a new payment system they "could" just put fees or take away the "security" / "buyers guarantee" currently given for paying through paypal people would then sign up for a service that does offer this.

And before anyone says I don't like Paypal.... I do like Paypal and have always trusted the service from them, I also have a business account with them and Paypal MasterCard etc......

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 03:29:37 pm »

Paypal originally was owned by Ebay I do not think they will start their own again, just get a 3rd party payment system run by someone else.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 03:51:34 pm »

Paypal originally was owned by Ebay I do not think they will start their own again, just get a 3rd party payment system run by someone else.
Correct they were and eBay always regretted splitting, but believe me this is being spoken about by eBay as stated above it won't be anytime soon as Ebay has a contract with Paypal that runs until 29th Feb 2020 also the deal stops Paypal from spreading their wings further afield also they cannot set up deals like the one with eBay with anyone else & something they have been desperate to do.
You might see something being run side by side I don't know yet but I would say watch this space in the future

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 03:58:01 pm »

***eBay to Intermediate Payments on its Marketplace Platform on eBay.co.uk***
 Jan 31, 2018 3:15:53 PM

eBay intends to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on the Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

Sellers do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

We are committed to creating the world’s most powerful selling platform, and building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. All sellers can expect a simplified pricing structure and more predictable access to funds, and most can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced after they transition to eBay’s intermediated payments model. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, inclusive of payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

eBay will begin payments intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, sellers can contact eBay now at paymentsinfo@ebay.com to stay up-to-date on eBay’s payments efforts and timing, share feedback and ask questions.

For a deeper look at this news, read the eBay Inc. announcement.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-to-intermediate-payments-on-its-marketplace-platform/

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 05:29:57 pm »

John Malloy started Confinity, then merged with Xcom, Elon Musk, creating  PayPal. 
Musk sold it to Ebay, and now makes electric cars, and launches rockets.(with electric car as payload tests)

It sounds like Ebay, setting itself up as an INTERMEDIARY,  will take your money for an auction payment, and hold onto the funds until
you get your item. Then they will forward the payment to the seller once you are satisfied, or refund your payment if you claim any issues.

This would give Ebay free money for up to 15 days for every transaction while they are "mediating" a sale to completion.
Sort of like;
...Hello Seller, we have the money for the auction you may ship the item.
...Hello Buyer, the item has shipped.
.--Hello Ebay, I have recieved my Item. Yea!
...Hello Seller we are moving the funds to your account.

And then much happiness.

Not sure if that is what they are actually doing, but  "intermediating" sounds a bit off. %)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 07:05:19 pm »

John Malloy started Confinity, then merged with Xcom, Elon Musk, creating  PayPal. 
Musk sold it to Ebay, and now makes electric cars, and launches rockets.(with electric car as payload tests)

It sounds like Ebay, setting itself up as an INTERMEDIARY,  will take your money for an auction payment, and hold onto the funds until
you get your item. Then they will forward the payment to the seller once you are satisfied, or refund your payment if you claim any issues.

This would give Ebay free money for up to 15 days for every transaction while they are "mediating" a sale to completion.
Sort of like;
...Hello Seller, we have the money for the auction you may ship the item.
...Hello Buyer, the item has shipped.
.--Hello Ebay, I have recieved my Item. Yea!
...Hello Seller we are moving the funds to your account.

And then much happiness.

Not sure if that is what they are actually doing, but  "intermediating" sounds a bit off. %)

ebay in the uk does that periodically already (they say they are doing checks) and there are plenty of complaints from sellers that if you sell low value items like less than £10 then if the buyer says they have an issue ebay tells the buyer they don't have to send the item back and they then refund it  :(( so if you have unscrupulous buyers it's a win win for them and the seller loses out again, there is no seller protection on there   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.