Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Adamcraft Sailing Dinghy  (Read 8341 times)

Thelegos

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Adamcraft Sailing Dinghy
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 02:36:43 pm »

Sorry about my gaff..... I feel duly corrected!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 02:52:28 pm »

Related image
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2022, 01:29:35 pm »

Are there any plans for the Adamcraft Sailing Dinghy  around?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 01:38:59 pm »

Yup! Not exactly, more like instructions.

Regards  Ian.

Just checked, full description in Adams book.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Thelegos

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 04:44:31 pm »

It’s a 1940’s kit. Many parts including the formers were die cut and the planks printed on plywood sheet. Readymade brass fittings, mast, boom and gaff included plus a building jig and a small tool kit!
The lovely sail was made by Ratsey & Lapthorne. Original kits were supplied in an ex-WW2 cardboard mortar shell case, latterly they produce a factory built version with a more traditional cardboard box.
Here’s a hullo built over Christmas last year.

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2022, 05:00:12 pm »

Its 7 years since I built my 18" Adamcraft with r/c from an original kit.
It took ages to really have her sailing well but a modern carbon fibre dagger board resolved that not to mention the canopy that I made as did Sir Ernest Shackleton's carpenter make  for him using one of the ships life boats named 'James Caird' .
The canopy is wood and fits easily so she no longer takes on water. Having a jib I assume your boat is the longer 23" version . I must say 18" is limiting but I enjoy sailing her at Frensham Pond . 

Thelegos

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2022, 05:10:30 pm »

Hi Peter, Roger, I saw your boat when we had an ‘Adamcraft day’ at the North London Engineering Society! Good to see you’re still at it!
I’m struggling to upload the pictures but it is an 18” version which as you rightly say is a challenge!
I still use my original replica with the later sail rig as per Adams book on a very regular basis. It’s still in my top three after many years.
Still working out how to load the pictures….😔

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
The Adamcraft Sailing Dinghy
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2022, 12:57:26 pm »

It is far too long since I updated what has been going on with ADAMCRAFT .

There seems to be around a dozen models on the water in the UK but things have changed overall - recently I have been in contact with an enthusiast in Brazil who is building a 23" Adamcraft from the plans I supplied .
Only today I had an email from Switzerland from a very knowledgeable enthusiast who advices me that there are a number of Adamcraft sailors in the Netherlands, Germany and Fance . Have to say it would good to make contact with these people so I would be grareful for any advice .......................
On the practicale side my own boat sails very well at last with radio control - if anyone is interest just email at phwallis@btinternet.com .

Peter Wallis O0 [size=78%]   [/size]

Thelegos

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2022, 04:14:32 pm »

Hi Peter, it’s Roger. I wrote an article for the VMYG at the time of the NLES event organised there by your good self.
It seems their popularity continues to grow, I still have one original, a factory built version with the original box and two of the earlier kits supplied in WW2 shell cases plus my replica with the Bermuda rig as per Harvey Adam’s book
I sail the replica virtually every visit to our club water in Peterborough.
A fellow member has built three replica hulls by taking templates from one of the kits, the first is the one with white sails in the picture featured above, he’s also built an RC row boat using his second hull.  The boat with red sails is another friend who has sailed it for a number of years, we’re both member of Wicksteed club and meet there periodically.
I built a second hull towards the end of lockdown using original formers and fresh planks, that build is coming on nicely and is being finished in the style of a Catboat so very different to the original.
I recently picked up another’s part finished boat which has been dismantled for rebuild, you could see where the planking had drifted out of line as the build progressed which I’m guessing was the reason for it being abandoned. Luckily it was assembled with Cascamite glue so came apart easily, it also has all the original kit parts which is a real bonus. I do wonder how many part builds are still lurking in sheds and lofts!!
There’s always a flurry of activity when a chat starts or restarts on Mayhem so I look forward to seeing more soon.
Roger

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2024, 02:05:26 pm »

via email to Mayhem ....

Hello Martin.

I noticed your comments on the Model Boat Mayhem site—though they were a few years back—about the Adamcraft dinghy.

I have had mine since about the mid ’60’s when I bought it complete as a teenager, I just liked the quality of it. After attempting to sail it, unsuccessfully, maybe a dozen times in a neighbour's swimming pool I've just kept it on display in various houses ever since.

It is time to move it on so would I be able to advertise it on the Model Boat Mayhem site? And I saw an Adamcraft dinghy hull for sale in a local antique shop a few months ago which may be still there.

A couple of photos attached.
Regards,
 Nick

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.