Mess Deck: General Section > Tugs and Towing

Symster's SMIT Nederland build

(1/13) > >>

Smyster:

Hi All,
I'm based in Whitehaven, Cumbria so wondering if there's any clubs in my location, have previously built RC Cars both Tamiya and Nitro as well as tanks but these were always as kits and upgrades with assistance from the local club. Think great to join a forum instead of spending loads and getting it wrong with some professional advice.

I bought a Billings SMIT Nederland a couple of years ago off ebay for £80 part started which myself and my 8 year old son have decided to start and crack on with for the last month putting a bit of time in.First kit and a few lessons learned with regards to painting what not to use and things reacting DOH but nearly there, never built a wood building a tug should you use a geared motor seen 6:1 suggested? 2 came with the kit I've fitted but these go like the clappers and seem a bit noisy, RS-550SH Chinese motors running 6v ( Will get some internal pics just painting the hull). Thinking I'd best buy a Mtroniks speed controller something decent just testing with a Losi rc car one at the moment for getting rudders set up.

Kit was missing quite a few fittings such as the stanchions which I can’t seem to find bought 1 pack of 10 then out of stock, part Number F627 if anyone knows of any,  missing venturi tubes but £56 to buy all 28 think will try and make my own. The becker rudders were also missing so just fitted standard ones as unable to source, So there's a bit about the model and where we are so look forward to getting advice and help along the way thanks.

Have a 1.72 Revell flower class corvette which I built a 15 years ago but also picked another hull up to RC it so next project already in the pipe line.

Martin (Admin):

Greeting Smyster,

Welcome to the Mayhem!

Great looking Neddy..... is that you or the grandson?!   ok2

Smyster:
Thanks Martin, its a dad and lad project with an impatient son who can't wait to get it into the water for its maiden run lol, few bathtub runs first, need to investigate ballast setting up and just waiting on a speed controller on ebay to see if I win, MTRONIKS viiper marine 25A one, don't want to run it out with the rc car one in the water. Also not sure to remove the motors which came with the boat and fit some geared ones.

Cheers

big_bri:
Try Scoonies for your rudders, they had them in stock last year at haydock :-))

ballastanksian:
Welcome to the Forum Team Smyster! I hope you both have lots of fun with your build. The stanchions might be available from a company like Cornwall Model Boats either as original Billings or from another manufacturer based upon dimentions and number of holes etc.

Have a good 'binge read' of the topics and build logs and you will find so much inspiration and wise advice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version