Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Batteries & Chargers

When to charge?

(1/2) > >>

tizdaz:
Hi guys, just a quick one

I have a voltage LED display that shows current voltage of my 12v cel, question is at what voltage should i disconnect & recharge, its a 12v 22AH gel cel as i know i shouldn't let it drop too low?

cheers :)

malcolmfrary:
If a 12 volt battery gets below 12 volts, its time to charge.  If it doesn't make it to at least 13.5, its time to change.  Either way, its a good idea to check the calibration of the display device against something of known accuracy occasionally.
In a multi battery set-up, it is a good idea to make sure that the battery being reconnected is the same voltage as its mates, a small difference can give a very big circulating current as they even out.  If they connect through a schottky diode unit, the highest voltage one carries the load until its voltage drops down to equal the next, then they bot carry the load.

tizdaz:
ok thanks :)

Peter Fitness:
Following advice I received many years ago, I always recharge my SLA batteries after every sailing day, and store them out of the boat fully charged. A couple of them are over 8 years old and still delivering full power, I don't have a digital read out, but charge as a matter of course.

Peter.

BrianB6:
I agree with Peter, always charge straight after sailing.   My charger shows a red LED whilst charging and a green LED when fully charged ( was not all that expensive although I have had it many years)
Also try charging after a month or so just to top it up.  SLA's should be kept fully charged.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version