Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluenose keel measurement meaning  (Read 1302 times)

JohnMa

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Bluenose keel measurement meaning
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:43:04 am »

Ist time modeling, and know I am in over my head, but feel a need to keep going.
Have lots of time! Retired:
Have always been in awe of the Bluenose.
Got to see Bluenose 11 last year, and am now more in awe. Have the plans for Regarding       Schooner Bluenose 1921, ¼”= 1’.
Have downloaded  Plank on Frame Modeling Practicum By Gene Bodnar.
I need help to understand a lofting instruction:
I Know it’s my failure to comprehend what is being said. So please help me understand it.
On page 18 it tells me.

[size=0pt]No[/size]w mark the bottom edge of the keel on your grid, which is found by placing the dividers on the Hull Profile Plan at the baseline at the Midship Frame and extending the dividers open to the bottom of the keel.  Transfer this measurement to your grid by placing one end of the dividers on the baseline at the center of the keel and extending the other end to mark the keel. 
If I go to the Bottom of the keel, should this not be the top of the keel so that the Hull Frames rest on the top of the keel.
[size=0pt]Hope you can help.  [/size]Thanking You in advance
[size=0pt]John[/size]

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Bluenose keel measurement meaning
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:23:50 am »

The text might be meaning to place your keel flat on the grid, and then use the bottom of the keel as a baseline (see fig) to fix other heights, as well as lengths/radials etc. on the model. The bottom of the keel will always be accessible to measure from, and is a logical reference point. It is also worth noting with frames, that it is the outside dimensions that are important, the inside dimensions are often arbitrary.

Without seeing the book, I don't see a problem. In fact I can also see advantages.

Although the frames rest on top of the keel, they extend down the sides of the keel.
If you are constructing the hull upside down, you will still be able to see the lines marked on your keel when the frames are fixed down to a building board and the keel is bottom up.

My only question would be, 'is the bottom of the keel, shorter than the top of the keel?' Due to the stem end of the keel being curved. This would affect the measurements.

Usually, if I follow instructions, I find that things that seem strange in the instructions become obvious later in the build.

I am sure others will contribute additional helpful advice.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Bluenose keel measurement meaning
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 07:33:33 am »

Perhaps the mean the baseline, lowest point of the keel, to  the bottom of the keel as it rises.

The distance in red???

The top of the keel would be somewhere about the orange line so that the frames have
someplace to sit, sometime clear above the bottom of the keel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.