Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pennant numbers Specification for RN ships  (Read 2090 times)

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
Pennant numbers Specification for RN ships
« on: March 08, 2018, 02:05:18 am »

Hello
I am wanting pennant numbers for a 1:48 RN Castle Class and a 1:96 RN Fearless Class; that is the large number on hull sides and stern.

For some strange reason I cannot find the specification of these number sets and yet I am sure that there must have been "rules" for them.

Yes I can see that they are of an untypical font and that the RN style is different to the US and that RN numbers were black over white.

I have found that BECC company is a supplier to model shops but that although they do a range, for some reason after 25mm tall letters the next size is 38. A basic calculation gives me the impression that 30mm might be suitable for 1:48 but I could  likely be wrong. Also how much white should be visible around the letter. At first glance the Becc 38mm looks very stark on the model. I decided to lightly place a letter on the hull. I must say that I was not wowed or convinced.

Can anyone help me with this enquiry.

Toby

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pennant numbers Specification for RN ships
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:27:46 am »

Toby.... a simple Google search on RN Castle Class .....then open the Wiki link

From this you will find a table on vessels........then a sub table on RN vessels of this Castle Class complete with the Pennant Number

Just where are you looking  %)???

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:00:28 am »

Toby.... a simple Google search on RN Castle Class .....then open the Wiki link

From this you will find a table on vessels........then a sub table on RN vessels of this Castle Class complete with the Pennant Number

Just where are you looking  %) ???
Knowing what the numbers should be is useful.  However, the question was "What Size should they be?"

I did some numbers for a USN ship by using a colour laser to print on white sticky back vinyl, then cutting round after placing them.  It was a PITA to do on a 1:125 model, might be easier on a larger one.  I could have just stuck the plastic on and removed the numbers, then used the plastic as a stencil mask and painted the numbers.
There is plenty of documentation for USN giving painting specifications, but I haven't found anything corresponding for RN.  The best bet would be to have a side-on photo and do some careful measuring of something of known size on the ship and the numbers, then working out the right size and aspect ratio.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:42:05 am »

I think you are talking about the wrong castle class.....

reading the original post I think he means the 1980's patrol ship

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:29:16 pm »

Thank to all so far.

Yes it is not that I do not know the number for it is P258.
It is the dimensions of the letters and the amount of white there ought to be I am wanting to know and where any transfers may be available; or alternatively what other modeller have done.  I can't be the first person on this topic or wanting to know.

Toby
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.