Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Al Khubar  (Read 11659 times)

macz_chung

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Al Khubar
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:07 am »

Hi,

All if I don't used the P38 fiber filler, Could you mind provide a good material for glue the deck and shaft. Because i will buy this ship next month.

Marz

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 03:49:39 pm »

Hi Michael

as soon as I get some spare time hoping to pay you a revisit, would also like to pay a visit to Stan at Kirklees as well, hopefully bringing the little-un.

Carl

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 06:17:15 pm »

You'll both be welcome at both Clubs Carl :-))

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 04:48:29 pm »

Hi all

I am now looking at buying  the motors, Butts has advised MFA 540 geared 6:1 on 12 volts. Nothing wrong with that advice, thought I'd look on eBay see what there is, loads is the answer ranging from a few quid to 70-80 quid. Can't afford the higher end, on the other hand not going cheap as you usually get what you pay for, got 2 to get so around 25 each would be the range I am looking at, can any one recommend a motor for around this price. And I don't understand this 6:1 gearing, can some one please explain.

Thank you in advance.

Carl

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 06:20:58 pm »

Hi all
 not sorted out which motors to use yet and as car repairs have taken priority, thought I would crack on with the superstructure.

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:18 pm »

forgot to add this is the first time I've had to bend plastic, I am pleased with the results.

essexbill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 07:14:19 am »

Hi.

I am following your thread. I am not far from you as I am in Dronfield. Having said that I am also learning about powered model boats. I joined Balne Moor and having limited time and no workshop space have purchased 2 tugs. The people at Balne Moor are all friendly and are always happy to offer advice and help with setting up. I missed the last event due to car problems am hoping to attend the next one but am supposed to be going on holiday the night before so need to do some juggling.. Dont get disheartened with your build, I have never seen anyone get criticised at a model club.

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 04:43:55 pm »

Hi all

not much progress been made recently, being working on another project, not boat related, will post a picture when finished. Good news is I am now in position to purchase a couple of motors,. I have found what I think is just what I am looking for (following advice from Butts), a 540 motor and 6:1 gearbox from Model Dockyard, priced at £20.32 each motor, firstly has anyone had any dealings with Model Dockyard and am I barking up the right tree, hoping to order them in the next couple of days.

Carl

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 10:46:10 pm »

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/motors/dc-geared-motors.html

Buy with confidence and slightly cheaper

Dave

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 08:37:14 am »

Carl, Stavros is saying have a look at Component Shop - good advice :-))

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2018, 03:10:54 pm »

Thanks Stavros/Butts

Advice taken and I have just ordered 2 motors, on duty over the weekend, so hopefully they will be here early next week, when I am off for a few days.

Carl

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 12:04:51 pm »

Hi all

motors ordered yesterday at 3pm from Component Shop arrived in post this morning, excellent service.

Carl

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2018, 12:52:00 pm »

China cannot compete with the
Welsh guys :-)) :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 07:42:28 pm »

hi all

well as you know I've got the motors, never fitted motors, props, lined them up etc, where do I start, another problem has arisen that's going to slow me down, during an incident at work last night I've ruptured my right bicep, yes I am right handed, look on the bright side no more work for a few weeks.

Carl

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 04:57:27 pm »

test

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 05:18:58 pm »

Hi all

seem to be having a problem with my posts, this is third attempt, hence test on last post. Now my arm has been repaired, been doing a bit recently, pleased with the results, photo's below hopefully.

cheers
carl

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 08:41:41 pm »

Hi all
can't believe it's been a year since I last posted, during in the year I felt I needed a some thing a bit easier to build, so I had a go at Mowe 2, which I enjoyed and is up and sailing, I've also built a 1700 scale HMS Rodney for the father in law, frustrating to say the least. Any how back to Al Khubar, I've had a go at fitting the prop etc, with no success, don't seem to be able to get them lined up, or get my head round how to approach fitting them, can any one help please.

Carl

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2020, 08:49:45 pm »

Hi all

little disappointed I've had no reply's to this, I do keep trying and I am making some progress, sure I am making it harder then it should be, hoping to get to balne this year and looking at joining, hopefully some one will be willing to help me out if I've had no success before, and hopefully work doesn't get in the way.

Carl

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2020, 10:13:59 pm »

What exactly are you having trouble with? When it comes to lining up prop and motor I use brass tube of appropriate diameters to make a solid jig to connect both shafts, then pack under the motor as required. I also fit a double UJ to absorb any minimal misalignment.

HTH
Don't Assume Check

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 08:25:55 pm »

Hi

thanks for replying, basically the lot, just couldn't seem to the rudder skegs in position, get the prop and propeller lined up with out it fowling the nozzles, and then the whole lot would fall apart. So after throwing my teddy in the corner, and  getting home from a training course that finished early today. I decided to give it another go, don't know what I've done differently, same approach, somehow everything fell into place on one side, the other still not quite right. It was dry run, however, it has proved I can do it with a bit of patience, trial and error and perseverance. I am also now working in the shed on a purpose built bench, in stead of the kitchen table, any advice still welcome.

Carl

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem really helps me out!
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2020, 07:58:47 pm »

Hi Carl, not been on the forum for a long while, Retirement, a very long holiday and a triple heart bypass put paid to that but ....... back in the fray now and picking up my old Al Khubar Tug and trying to make some progress. To be fair to Model Slipway they were keen to make sure I was an experienced modeller before selling me the Tug. Being well versed in Tamiya etc I said yes. So, as you might guises Al Khubar has been a challenge for me, everything from cutting the sides to aligning the props has been new to me so quite a trial. I am now doing experiments with adding initial strips of lead and today tackled one of my big fears, the Rudders. All clamped up right now so not sure how successful I have been. I will be interested to share my progress with you as we go forward.
Derek

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2020, 09:01:51 pm »

Hi Derek

welcome on board buddy, be interesting to see if you have any photo's, I am making progress slowly, will post some pic's shortly, though time is limited due to pressure at work, so not progressing as quickly as I would like. Must say it is enjoyable to get in the shed and do a bit even if it's only 10 minutes, assume the bypass was a success and you are well now.

Carl

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem really helps me out!
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2020, 07:34:23 pm »

Hi Carl,

I think you are making a great job of that superstructure, just hope I can make mine as good as that! My thread is under Beginners and Al Khubar with a photo added today of my attempt at clamping up the Rudders, see if you can find it from the Home screen etc. You can see a couple of shots that might help get the couplings aligned. A fellow Mayhemer suggested slipping a brass tube over the coupling / shaft etc and that has worked reasonably well, see if you can find them on my thread.

Keep up the good work!

Derek
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.