Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boiler/Gas Tank Testing  (Read 10100 times)

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Boiler/Gas Tank Testing
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2018, 02:30:23 pm »

Read section 2:4 this does not effect commercial tanks regarding the hydraulic test.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2018, 06:26:48 pm »

It does seem to be from section 2.4 regarding gas tanks that we have the situation whereby someone building their own gas tank will need to have their boiler inspector perform a hydraulic test to 400 PSI. However commercial gas tanks, some of which are only tested to 120 PSI, will be ok to use.
Logically therefore, when a commercial gas tank is due for retest after 5 years, it will only be tested to its original test pressure.
This also means we will have a situation with gas tanks in use, all tested to different pressure and no consistancy.
This seems to be a somewhat strange outcome. I'm sure there will be further comments on this. 

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 06:29:41 pm »

Always the issue when rules are drawn up by commity looks to me like a pigs breakfast and I've looked at it for ten minutes lol

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 06:44:43 pm »

It does seem to be from section 2.4 regarding gas tanks that we have the situation whereby someone building their own gas tank will need to have their boiler inspector perform a hydraulic test to 400 PSI. However commercial gas tanks, some of which are only tested to 120 PSI, will be ok to use.
Logically therefore, when a commercial gas tank is due for retest after 5 years, it will only be tested to its original test pressure.
This also means we will have a situation with gas tanks in use, all tested to different pressure and no consistancy.
This seems to be a somewhat strange outcome. I'm sure there will be further comments on this.

Hi Steve thanks for the information.  As a newcomer to steam I find this situation a bit perplexing.  If the new Orange book has not yet gone to print I would hope that the committee would accept that there is a inconsistency here and look again at the regs.  Surely all gas tanks should conform to one standard; otherwise people like me will just not understand decisions made regarding our hobby?

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 07:11:24 pm »

Welcome the the world of model engineering. It's beyond me why the test has been set at 400psi  anybody who has run a gas tank in a boat will tell you that the biggest problem is a drop in pressure has the gas tank freezers due to evaporation

Albert Uncle

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2018, 07:37:14 pm »

The provisions of this Test Code shall come into effect on 1st May 2018 and shall not be retrospective.

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:40 pm »

Interesting thread.

Recently I have built two 1/12 scale narrow boats, both electric powered. I've just starting a third, based on a Birmingham Canal Navigation (BCN) type tug and was thinking of having it steam powered. Having read the above, I'm wondering if I need the grief!

Based on a 50 inch length and a displacement of about 25lbs, I assume my steam plant will not fall under the 3 bar/Litre exemption?

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 05:48:16 pm »

Not really that would fall below the 3 bar litre rule for the required power

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:33 am »

Thanks for that. I'll carry on building.  :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.