Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1950s and 60s RN Duck Egg Blue, or am I just imagining it?  (Read 6260 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: 1950s and 60s RN Duck Egg Blue, or am I just imagining it?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 10:24:56 am »

You are, of course, right on all your points. I am happy with the conclusions that this thread has reached. Also, very grateful for the input from the other side of the world on LAG.

Time to order some paint :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 09:58:23 pm »

Hi Allan, prior to 1965, there were several shades of colour for warships depending on their service area, the ones in the Persian Gulf were painted a shade of blue for example, the old minitrix model boats had several correct colours on them.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:37 pm »

Hi Allan, prior to 1965, there were several shades of colour for warships depending on their service area, the ones in the Persian Gulf were painted a shade of blue for example, the old minitrix model boats had several correct colours on them.

Sorry Dodo but the RN only had 2 colours used for its surface vessels in 1965. Survey ships were white, everything else was LAG. Have a look at my post of 10th March and you can see how that colour changes in different lighting conditions. In miserable conditions the colour appears as a darker blue colour similar to Triang's going through to a light grey. In a bright Sydney summer sun, it is a pale blue.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 12:20:45 pm »

Read my quote I said prior to 1965, because that year a standard grey came in, my elder brother remembered the old Persian gulf blue, also for the coronation fleet review they had a green based grey, which was much liked and some wanted to keep it, as a small boy am sure I saw a Eskimo type frigate come into Chatham painted in the old West Indies colour Buff funnel.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:39 am »

Read my quote I said prior to 1965, because that year a standard grey came in, my elder brother remembered the old Persian gulf blue, also for the coronation fleet review they had a green based grey, which was much liked and some wanted to keep it, as a small boy am sure I saw a Eskimo type frigate come into Chatham painted in the old West Indies colour Buff funnel.

Sorry Dodes but you are possibly getting confused with 1968 when the current colour, Light Weatherwork Grey, was introduced to replace Light Admiralty Grey.
The Coronation Fleet Review colour was Light Admiralty Grey (LAG). After the review ship’s reverted to the previous Light Grey known as Pattern 507C. Your brother’s Persian Gulf blue would have been LAG which came in to full use in 1955. Before that Gulf ships were white with Light Grey (507C) funnels etc.
The West Indies ships never had buff funnels unless they were a survey ship. You might be thinking of the pre war East Indies colours which were white and yellow.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 01:55:15 pm »

And just to add to the confusion regarding Light Weatherworks Grey. I can distinctly remember two Leanders and an early Batch 2 Type 22 up The Trot ( Fareham Creek sort of area ), all awaiting scrapping. In direct sunlight, and forgive me for my Humbrol references, the Leanders were both Humbrol 64, while the '22' was Humbrol 127 ( actually Humbrol 247, but let's not go there :} ). Speaking to an ex-storesman and fellow Mayhemmer, he explained that paint orders were going to the lowest bidder, with colour matching long down the list of requirements...ahh, the free market economy, wasn't like this during the war ;)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 03:37:17 am »

And just to add to the confusion regarding Light Weatherworks Grey. I can distinctly remember two Leanders and an early Batch 2 Type 22 up The Trot ( Fareham Creek sort of area ), all awaiting scrapping. In direct sunlight, and forgive me for my Humbrol references, the Leanders were both Humbrol 64, while the '22' was Humbrol 127 ( actually Humbrol 247, but let's not go there :} ). Speaking to an ex-storesman and fellow Mayhemmer, he explained that paint orders were going to the lowest bidder, with colour matching long down the list of requirements...ahh, the free market economy, wasn't like this during the war ;)

Actually the RN tests all paint on a random base to ensure they comply with the Defence Standard specs but all paint fades over time and the results of salt. They used to trial them on old ships. They used the bridge roof of Plymouth when she was around to see the results on long time wear on proposed new paints. In WW2, they even tested camouflage paints provided by outside suppliers.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 03:26:26 pm »

You know I put both Intrepid and Fearless into chains at the top of the harbour prior to departure for razor blades. I remember looking back and both vessels though both painted light grey, had two distinct colours one blue based and the other green based, without seeing them together you would never know. But believe with heavy financial budget cuts the MoD started to order paints nearest to their colour requirements from paint makers to save money by buying paint of the shelve rather than paying extra for small special runs from the manufacturers.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2018, 08:51:53 am »

[size=0pt]I would have thought that as Intrepid sat in death row in Fareham Creek from 1999 having been a spare parts donor for her sister for years and Fearless from 2002, neither would have had any painting undertaken. They were awaiting scrapping, so why paint?[/size]
[size=0pt][/color]In 2006, they both looked reasonable considering their circumstances. It might be my monitor, but neither look green to me.[/size]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.