Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Futaba T6L 2.4GHz radio control. Modifications.  (Read 2213 times)

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
Futaba T6L 2.4GHz radio control. Modifications.
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:05:54 pm »

I recently decided to buy a new 2.4GHz radio set for my Sea Queen (to be crystal free) and only wanted a 2CH set. However, I guess because they are so relatively cheap to make, Futaba seem to have abandoned the 2CH market and I was wary of buying a cheap make I had no experience with.
So I bought the Futaba T6L 6Ch set. The downside being that the throttle (LH side) and rudder (RH side) now have a redundant axis movement that I thought would just confuse matters.
Having used the two axis to set up the speed controller I made two brass adaptors to lockout the redundant axis movements. The throttle and rudder are left as spring loaded self centring actions.
I may use the flick switch channel to operate a switched fuse by-pass loom to get the boat back to shore on low power if the fuse trips
Hopefully the pictures will explain the story. The ratchet bar seen is not in use; just left installed.
Anyone recommend a good 2.4GHz 2CH radio set?
David
David

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Futaba T6L 2.4GHz radio control. Modifications.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:13:24 pm »

For stick sets, my 'go to' would be the Futaba 2ch unit.

http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=P-CB2HR&Category=060-010-050

Not the cheapest by any stretch, but probably the best of the  available 2ch stick sets. Now, wheel radios, that's a whole other ballpark! Loads of options available.....

Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:10:57 pm »

Yes, that set was a consideration. However, I just did not like the look of it. Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist but it looked like something off Stars wars.
Looking on the HobbyKing site, there are some very inexpensive Turnigy radio sets around £15 that would seem to do the job; as I would like my other two boats to be 2.4GHz. However, I do wonder about the quality at that price. Anyone tried one?
I think I would just buy the T6L again and make some more locking bars. You do at least have some more channels for future use.
David
David

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »

What I tell people is to concentrate on their model and not  be distracted by the ugly radio in their hands!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 10:54:58 am »

Absolutely. Getting people to mentally put themselves on the boat when they 'have a go' is quite difficult sometimes.  But for me the Futaba 2CH is probably the worst visual design I have ever seen; why have sloped control sticks?  Anyway, it is just a personal view. As a brand I have always bought Futaba and my Attack R must be from the 1980s but still works well.
David
David

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 06:19:45 pm »

Actually, the sloped axes of the sticks are a sensible move if you expect to hold the Tx in both hands and use your thumbs to move the sticks. Pretend you are holding a transmitter and watch how your thumbs move - sort of a slanted curve.

Greg

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:44:18 pm »

Hi Greg
From an ergonomics point of view you are right. I had not looked at it from that point of view. I guess I could put some sticker on the battery box to cheer it up; take away that preying Mantis look.  Looking at the manual there is no direct reference to a BEC on the receiver; only that electric cars do not need a battery supply. Would need to check that out.
Looking at the price of additional crystals for my old Futaba sets it probably makes sense just to buy a new 2.4GHz set and pension off the old Futaba ones; and not have that worry about frequency clashes.
David
David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:52:26 pm »

I see there is a Forum section for radio topics so I should have posted there. Not sure if it can be moved.
David
David

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 09:58:48 pm »

Ah!, and here were are courtesy of the big keyboard in the sky. Many thanks.
David
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.