Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Radio Equipment

Futaba T6L 2.4GHz radio control. Modifications.

(1/2) > >>

Davo:
I recently decided to buy a new 2.4GHz radio set for my Sea Queen (to be crystal free) and only wanted a 2CH set. However, I guess because they are so relatively cheap to make, Futaba seem to have abandoned the 2CH market and I was wary of buying a cheap make I had no experience with.
So I bought the Futaba T6L 6Ch set. The downside being that the throttle (LH side) and rudder (RH side) now have a redundant axis movement that I thought would just confuse matters.
Having used the two axis to set up the speed controller I made two brass adaptors to lockout the redundant axis movements. The throttle and rudder are left as spring loaded self centring actions.
I may use the flick switch channel to operate a switched fuse by-pass loom to get the boat back to shore on low power if the fuse trips
Hopefully the pictures will explain the story. The ratchet bar seen is not in use; just left installed.
Anyone recommend a good 2.4GHz 2CH radio set?
David

unbuiltnautilus:
For stick sets, my 'go to' would be the Futaba 2ch unit.

http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=P-CB2HR&Category=060-010-050

Not the cheapest by any stretch, but probably the best of the  available 2ch stick sets. Now, wheel radios, that's a whole other ballpark! Loads of options available.....

Davo:
Yes, that set was a consideration. However, I just did not like the look of it. Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist but it looked like something off Stars wars.
Looking on the HobbyKing site, there are some very inexpensive Turnigy radio sets around £15 that would seem to do the job; as I would like my other two boats to be 2.4GHz. However, I do wonder about the quality at that price. Anyone tried one?
I think I would just buy the T6L again and make some more locking bars. You do at least have some more channels for future use.
David

unbuiltnautilus:
What I tell people is to concentrate on their model and not  be distracted by the ugly radio in their hands!

Davo:
Absolutely. Getting people to mentally put themselves on the boat when they 'have a go' is quite difficult sometimes.  But for me the Futaba 2CH is probably the worst visual design I have ever seen; why have sloped control sticks?  Anyway, it is just a personal view. As a brand I have always bought Futaba and my Attack R must be from the 1980s but still works well.
David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version