Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable ESC  (Read 1620 times)

DDE

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Suitable ESC
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:12 pm »

Hi
i currently have a set up with 2x motors (not sure of the model or voltage) running with a 6-12v speed controller and a single 6v lead acid battery, what I'm finding is as soon as the lead acid battery drops below 6v the speed controller just stops working, is this normal? is there a better speed controller i could be using for my set up?

Im a newbie so any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Dave

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Suitable ESC
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:37 pm »

best thing is stick a picture up of the speed controller and the motors.
or is there any writing on the motors and speed controller?
as you are running 2 x motors and 1 x esc then it could be there is a drain on the battery. also how long does the battery last????
whats the Mah of the battery (milliamp or ampage)
if as a standard with the above set up running 6v 4.5amp battery with 2 motors i would expect 10-20 mins at most with high speed runs, longer if poodling about
What is the boat? length etc??? pictures speak a thousand words when a newbie
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:38:34 am »

It's also worth noting that a 6 volt SLA is almost flat when the voltage reaches 5.8 volts, draining it more shortens its life.
  You might consider a change of battery type, perhaps a 7.2 volt NiMH battery. It'll be easier to judge after you've posted some pics etc as Klunk says.
Chas

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:30:25 am »

Hi
i currently have a set up with 2x motors (not sure of the model or voltage) running with a 6-12v speed controller and a single 6v lead acid battery, what I'm finding is as soon as the lead acid battery drops below 6v the speed controller just stops working, is this normal? is there a better speed controller i could be using for my set up?

Im a newbie so any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Dave
Without knowing the speed control involved, there is no way to say what a better one would be, or what characteristics your existing one has.
A fully charged "6 volt" SLA should be a bit over 7 volts, at 6 volts, its almost empty.
SLA are little to zero use in sustaining a high current output, look for NiMH packs.  Back when they were the only game in town, they were in common use, whether they could do an adequate job or not.  NiMH are not just in 7.2 volt packs, 6 volt packs are also available.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.