Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: standards in reporting  (Read 3907 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
standards in reporting
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:56:24 pm »

for a man who is supposed to know something about motor cars..........what a prat this man is, by sound alone without looking at the photos, spot the totally undeliberate mistake.....

he deserves the sack for this tripe.   https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/ultra-rare-jaguar-e-type-up-for-sale/ar-BBKvbbg?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: standards in reporting
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:49:45 pm »

.... radio?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:58:18 pm »

I missed the radio Martin :o, but thought the paintwork was a little darker than BRG  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:48:50 pm »

The very rare V8 version with closing headlights.

The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:31:42 pm »

The very rare V8 version with closing headlights.

correct knoby......the beautiful sound of a jaguar straight six breathing through 13/4 or 2 inch triple SU's.........and the idiot says it has a modified V8 lump in it........WHY DON'T these people get their facts together and straight before putting finger to keypad. >>:-( <*<

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:54 am »

In the good old days, reporters did just that, they reported the news. Today they create and often invent the news and the standards have dropped appallingly. This man was simply doing what most news reporters do......he guessed! <*<

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 07:41:10 am »

In the good old days, reporters did just that, they reported the news. Today they create and often invent the news and the standards have dropped appallingly. This man was simply doing what most news reporters do......he guessed! <*<

BBC Newsnight last week with a huge backdrop of the Kremlin on it, then a photoshopped picture of Corbyn wearing a russian hat placed over the top of it. Deliberate manipulation to sway public thinking.

As you say why can't they just report the facts.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:41 am »

***We seem to drifting into politics, which should be avoided***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:31:31 am »

So Neil says..................'WHY DON'T these people get their facts together and straight before putting finger to keypad'

10 to 1 he didn't even read it....the article was probably [incorrectly written :}] by someone else....the syndicated 100 fold...............

These people aren't Journo's just copy & paste merchants <*<

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 08:52:47 am »

Are you ready to laugh ........... on the Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago there was a discussion about renewable energy. When they got on to the subject of wind turbines it was stated that the electricity generated was 'stored' in the National Grid !!!!

The trouble with this kind of reporting is that the bulk of people who do not understand such things are taken in by the misinformation. Just recently a relative told me ..... "We've now changed energy suppliers and our electricity now only comes from green sources".
Sadly it was a complete waste of time trying to explain to them how the grid works ...... I gave up.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 09:21:47 am »

He could not count either.   Only 6 ignition leads. {:-{
No doubt confused by double overhead cams.  :((

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 11:43:16 am »

He saw the twin cam covers and just assumed it was a V8.......you would be surprised at how many folk easily confuse the two!  Jaguar were the first to fit a twin-cam engine into a production car, and Lyons insisted that it looked every bit as good to the eye as the performance that it offered.

As for the colour - yes, it is BRG.  The original BRG was a darker colour than the modern version....and the darkness of the photos have toned it down even further.

Closing headlights?  The fool thinks the Perspex covers actually move..........

Clearly, the man knows nothing about Jaguars............................... my favourite marque!

C

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:09 pm »

Are you ready to laugh ........... on the Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago there was a discussion about renewable energy. When they got on to the subject of wind turbines it was stated that the electricity generated was 'stored' in the National Grid !!!!

The trouble with this kind of reporting is that the bulk of people who do not understand such things are taken in by the misinformation. Just recently a relative told me ..... "We've now changed energy suppliers and our electricity now only comes from green sources".
Sadly it was a complete waste of time trying to explain to them how the grid works ...... I gave up.

2 points you should know working in the national grid environment...
battery systems are being installed to the grid to store electricity at a rapid rate most of these units are built into a 20ft container and come from China... stand by for big bangs near you

There is companies out there selling green only electricity. If you use say 40kw of electricity they buy it from a wind or solar farm the fact it the electricity comes from any source doesn’t matter and it’s apparently totally legal to do and not misleading.....

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 12:55:06 pm »

the only grid storage I know of apart from that mentioned above is the welsh lake storage, where water is pumped from a bottom lake to a top one using off peak energy and when energy is required quickly (say at ad break time on a tv program) the sluices are opened and down the water goes through the turbines.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 12:59:21 pm »

There is companies out there selling green only electricity. If you use say 40kw of electricity they buy it from a wind or solar farm the fact it the electricity comes from any source doesn’t matter and it’s apparently totally legal to do and not misleading.....

So in effect you are supporting solar power generation. This would spur investment in green power, and if enough people did it, reduce the amount of power generated from other fuels. Because the grid itself cannot store electricity (battery farms and water themselves connect to the grid) it would reduce the amount of power needed from traditional power stations.

The water storage system is in effect storing potential energy, but not electricity. The water is used to generate electricity anew, on demand. It uses surplus energy/electrical to pump the water up hill. Why is it surplus? Because you cannot just switch off a traditional power station, at night. They are always running (nuke might be an exception).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:16 pm »

As Steve says, plenty of information online about the National Grid buying Li Ion batteries to improve response. Wales isn't the only place where there is a water based quick reaction power supply facility either, Scotland has one in the 'hollow mountain' at Cruachan. Mrs B and I took the tour last year., very interesting.

Colin

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 03:08:52 pm »

There are standards in reporting?

I thought it was just a race to the bottom to see who could break news first, regardless of whether it’s accurate.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 04:43:31 pm »

is it standard practice to paint the license plate info on the nose of the car?

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 05:16:13 pm »

On E-Types it is standard practice to have the number-plate on the bonnet in that location.......but it wont be painted on - it is made from black vinyl with separate white vinyl letters all stuck on.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 05:37:42 pm »

Standard practice but illegal, the number plate should be flat and vertical. I've had any number of cars - TVR, Elva, Elan, Piper, and an E-type - with the reg like that but mercifully no trouble from the police. The background should also be unbroken, which scuppers the clever **** who put the numbers and letters on a mesh in the radiator intake of their Elites and Elans.
  And, yes, they were painted on before Les Leston produced his stick-ons - which were again illegal because they were easily removable.
  What gives you the idea I used to try to make racing cars legal for the road?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:27 pm »

Grendel, the place you are talking about is Dinorwg...."the electric mountain" and just a stones throw from Stavros, and indeed the Northen Mayhem event we held there a few years ago, I was there many years ago as the designer for the visitor attraction.......(dont shoot me just a job) In fact we spent so long up there I built a canoe out of bits of wood the chippies left, paddled around in the lower pond until it was re pumped to the upper pond ready for use for the turbines in the evening.
BTW you should see how many miles of tunnels there are under there.  ;)
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.