Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350  (Read 36576 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:02 pm »

Right... ok, I went ahead an ordered a PE sheet for the added Flight Deck detail.  Price was right and the detail will be cool.  Ok sirs, got a question.  I guess I can't expect every single part to be labeled as to what it is, but it does get a bit mind boggling sometimes.  Merits plans can be difficult to figure out, as the scale is quite small and jammed together, so one must be very careful and take the time to figure what goes where.  Here is an example that has me a bit stumped, I mean, I bel[size=78%]ieve that I have the correct part located, but just what the heck is it?  Thought maybe its a motor mount, but then it looks like a frame connect to a tiny motor on deck.  The is the Aft main deck I'm working on now.  A bunch of fidely pieces to mount, many I don't recognize.  Maybe some of you folks have an idea?  Tks,  Dennis[/size]

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 09:26:57 pm »

Oh, forgot, the part I am referencing is N22 on the plans. :embarrassed:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 09:28:57 pm »

I am not sure which pieces you mean unless its P9 as corrected from P10?

They seem to mirror parts M9 suggesting they are fairleads??

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:07 pm »

Are there weapons in that area? If so, are they the crowns of ammo chain hoists?
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 01:13:05 am »

Parts are N22, two to port, one to stbd.  Only weapons near are all the way to stern edge and they are two 20mm's.  There are eight ballards nearby, thought maybe they are winches or something like that. Tks for the help.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2018, 05:19:02 am »

Stern supports going in.  Must say, so far I'm impressed with the PE  in the kit.  Bend points are stronger and less apt to breaking.  Getting there.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2018, 04:40:57 pm »

The etched platform and railings make the stern look much finer  :-)) Would there be a mesh cover on that large grille at the back?
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2018, 05:39:12 pm »

Actually a ships boat will be stored over that grating.  D.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2018, 10:43:52 pm »

I keep running into these PE upscale kits.  I found this one company Infini  which sells a complete upscale kit for the Yorktown CV-5, a totally awesome enhancement detail kit that costs almost double what I paid for the kit itself.  So far, I have purchased a Flight Deck upscale kit and a blue wood flightdeck complete with all the wind breaks and arresting gear, catwalk railings, etc.  I just can't bring myself to sping for this stern support upscale kit, since I would have to rip out everything I have done so far on the stern.  I'm adding what I can and will scratch build a hoist so that the gig can be lowered off the stern.  I'll have a shot of that coming soon. I did have a spare bulkhead door I added.... funny, most of this won't even be seen once the flight deck is added.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2018, 10:44:37 pm »

more.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:49 am »

Goodness the detail quality is amazing...but you would have to sell the Grandkids & Mortgage the dog  >>:-(
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2018, 04:13:41 pm »

%% %% %% That is like the real thing but brass coloured (and much smaller obviously.) Astounding is the word Dennis, but your work is also very good, and probably more rewarding in the long run.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2018, 02:48:16 am »

It is awesome isn't it.  Amazing.  Ok, one of the ships launches is now mounted, stern railing in, two 20mm's installed.  A grid support structure for the flight deck is next and will cover most of what you see.  It drove me nuts that they didn't have a crane in the kit for the launch, so I'm scratch building one that will be part of the bottom of the support structure.. at least I think it will.  I'll post a pic of the stern shot of the USS Hornet, which was the same for the crane.. interestingly.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 02:49:13 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 02:49:57 am »

more.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 11:50:32 am »

The motors moulded to the deck are about the size of a 7.5kW motor and the frame may be missing a winch like that shown on the upscale kit, could be they forgot to include the winch in the drawings, it would be interesting to see what the upscale kit shows under the overhang where these frames are.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 01:10:49 pm »

I am with Warsprite on thing. I am thinking that those motors are the hoisting motors for the ship's boat, driving winches with the cables being routed via pulleys. I would think they would also control the booming out of the ships boat from under the overhanging stern.
Your work is, as usual, inspiring to watch.
The amount of detail available in PE now is amazing. It certainly causes one the have to pause and plan out their build with their checking balance in front of them.

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2018, 01:44:24 pm »

The upscale kits look great..

Only bad thing is they get painted...

I guess it comes down to if you want a nice looking model to display or you want a museum quality bit of work.

Enjoying your project so far  :-))

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2018, 02:47:28 pm »

Really good thoughts gentlemen... thank you.  As I closely examine the old WW2 photos I have come across, I am noticing three rails that are suspended from the bottom of the flight deck support structure.  This would make sense for a rolling hoist that would come into position over the ships boat, a cradle hooks up to fore and aft points of the boat and a center point picks up to a centeral lifting hook, which can be seen in the PE upscale kit.  Suprizingly, my kit PE does provide that centeral pickup point and gangway suspended just below the forward edge of the flight deck... darn plans are so small that I couldn't even tell what it was.  I had to research and ponder before it all came to light.  So, I am at present installing my scratch version of the boat lift that I was so concerned about in the beginning.  Its like a grand mystery journey I'm on and I love it.  You are correct about the Upscale kits.  before one even begins the main kit, you need to sit and study what you have vs. what is avaiable in Upscale kits.... not a small task mind you.  I have already purhased 3 small upscale kits and already I know that I am duplicating some areas that I already had kit supplied PE! Darn.. ooh well, I also am finding that I can repurpose parts from other builds, so most of it gets used anyway.  Cheers.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 10:02:31 pm »

Gentlemen, this is going to be a bit confusing for me to try to explain, but I came across this part in the kit and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was going to be used for.  Finally figured it out.  It is the overhead of the hanger deck, about midship.  If one was standing on the hanger deck and looked up, that is what you would see.  Odd support structure, I have no clue as to why it is designed like that, its the only area like it and is somewhat under the ships island. Whats even crazier is, you will never see it, unless somehow one could look through one of the hanger door openings and looked "up".  I mean, I thought I was "xxxxx" about detail, but this is a bit over the top by the kit maker.  Just had to show you folks for the record, cus once its installed, the flight deck is on, you will never know it is even there.  I mean, I have been planning on installing  3 aircraft in sections, up in the hanger deck overhead support cross girders as they did in the day and I thought I was being "xxxxx" because you would never really see them unless you looked hard with a torch for lighting.  One shot to show the stern nearing completion with my "added" crane affair. Oh, one of the pics shows that odd overhead section resting at an angle about where it will be located to give you an idea.  I got my wood flight deck upscale kit in the post today and it is way over the top for added detail, which is gonna add a few months to the build.  Who's complaining?  %%   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 10:03:29 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2018, 10:04:14 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2018, 10:04:53 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2018, 11:23:09 pm »

Military modellers spend time detailing the bottoms of their tanks and chassis of their lorries, so i suppose manufacturers feel it worth spending time on this sort of detail. Your issue about lack of detail on the stern for boat handling might have been a better thing for them to have sent that development budget on?

Lovely work as usual Dennis.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2018, 01:47:32 am »

Well, I think I have that overhead section figured out.  Its Merits way of added form and structure to the hanger deck sides, since there is essentially nothing that would be strong enough to align the sides.  The overhead beams are very flimsy, but do look nice.  This solid, stiff member gives strength right at the mid point of the hull.  Just a thought at least.  Ok folks, bear with me. I easily get side tracked and was lurking on another forum and came across a builder doing the same model.  He found a picture taken druing WW2 that shows a mural mounted on the hanger deck wall, you can see it behind a damaged aircraft that had been brought below decks.  The model builder decided to duplicate that mural "and" the wrecked aircaft.  I've included a picture.  I decided to do the mural thing just for fun, mine is not as good at that scale, its hard to free-hand the "world".  The gentlemans name is Arno from The Netherlands and he was posting on Modelwarships forum.  I like to give credit just in case.  Dennis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.