Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350  (Read 36589 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2018, 01:48:18 am »

My version

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2018, 08:57:28 am »

I came across Yorktown's General Arrangement drawing and looked up Part #N22 If I'm reading the drawing correctly they are exhaust and supply fans.

http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cv5.pdf
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2018, 04:31:03 pm »

Thank you so much... you folks are awesome in your help and research.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Now I know and my hat off to Merit for their attention to extreme detail.  One cannot even see those fans  that are tucked back under there.... but we know they are there.  Oh my aching mind........ :((   Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2018, 10:22:39 pm »

In the position it is, and the scale you have painted it to, the murial looks perfectly acceptable. That is an interesting way to work on an inverted airframe. I suppose that as long as all the fluids and loose items have been removed, it is just a matter of supporting it properly.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:54 pm »

You have a good point.  Makes me wonder if the aircraft didn't do a flip while landing, they brought in a dolly, picked up the aircraft with a deck crane and just brought her down to the hanger deck via elevator.  Her vertical stab is crunched, so makes me think she did a flip right over the nose.  Looking at some of the old WW2 photos taken down on the hanger deck just before she sank shows a number of perfectly good aircraft went down with her.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2018, 04:23:48 am »

Looks like the STBD side hanger deck sides are about there, so moving on to the Port side.  I guess so far, I'm fairly happy with the fit of parts.  Very pleased with Merits casting detail, both inside and outside are loaded with very crisp detail.  PE adds just that much more.  Some gaps here and there that I don't feel are worth the effort to fill. So far, a very fun build.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2018, 04:24:32 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2018, 04:25:13 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2018, 04:25:43 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2018, 04:26:11 am »

more.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2018, 08:18:57 am »

As for the fans at the stern, little bit puzzled, yes it shows the motors and what appears to be a frame, but no fan, if you google images of centrifugal fans (the basic paddle type), its a ever increasing diameter body with an inlet on the centreline and an outlet to either the left or right vertically or horizontally to one side of the centre, usually in extract or supply fans they use backward curved or forward curved fans - similar casings but to suit bigger duct diameters, don't see where these casings are, as they would be usually on a frame like those you fitted, a more detailed historic photo might show how this are is laid out, but it would have to be closer than that, did the shipyard not take any while refitting / repairing?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2018, 07:40:27 pm »

That's why I was so puzzled.  Could find no pictures of that unit.  As for scratch building a true fan, I suppose something could be done, but after installing all the overhead support structure, I can hardly even see the base and motors now.  They are tucked way back in a dark corner.  Perhaps thats why Merit didn't finish them??  Nuther one of those mysteries.  I'll try to get a close picture to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.  Tks for the suggestions.  Thats what I like so much about this group, they know things I would not of even thought of.  Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2018, 07:53:11 pm »

I can't even get my camera in close enough to get a shot of it.  I circled where it is.  Best I can do. Don't think I'm gonna worry about it.  If someone in the future ever comments while looking at my model.."where is the fan"... they will hear about it! {-)   Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2018, 01:44:09 pm »

If you don't know Dennis (and you are doing the effort researching and building her) then I doubt anyone else looking at her will. Veterans who might have known about these points are becoming few and far between and the rest of us learn something new every day.

She's looking fab as per usual  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2018, 10:20:08 pm »

So true, I have a friend who is in his 90's, with a very sharp mind, who was U.S. Navy WW2, stationed aboard a number of battleships during the war.  You can bet that I will be inviting this old vet over to view my models and talk about some of these detail issues.

Am currently fitting out the hanger details and adding a few scratch touches of my own which will probably be very difficult to see once the flight deck is on.  I've opened as many side doors as I can to allow light to get in and viewing with a flashlight to be done.

Just ordered 30 more aircraft to add to the 15 that come in the kit.  She had 90 at the battle of Midway I believe.. I think that might be a stretch and need to do more research to confirm if I can.  I understand that they have found the wreck of the Yorktown, sitting on her keel with aircraft still aboard.  Waiting for a documentary to be done on that someday.  Or, has it already been done?

Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2018, 10:21:05 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2018, 05:17:35 am »

Capt. gig.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2018, 05:18:07 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2018, 05:38:42 am »

Ok, ships boats are installed.  Before any hanger deck overhead supports are installed, I will be making up all aircraft that will be below on the hanger deck and perhaps one stored up in the overhead supports as they did in the day.  Starting with SBD-3.  I am disappointed in Merit using clear plastic for the aircraft casting.  Very difficult to assemble unpainted.  I did one and quickly moved into painting all parts on the sprue, which should make it easier.  I have purchased 30 additonal aircraft from Trumpeter, which are far superior to Merits... so the clunky ones will be somewhat hidden below.  Its gonna take me a while to get these done, so I'll be quiet for a time. Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2018, 05:39:16 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2018, 05:39:50 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:09 pm »

Take your time Dennis, she looks good and you are doing fine  :-)) I like the boats.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2018, 05:18:01 am »

Ok, now I've stepped over the deep end with this one.  I purchased an upscale kit from White Ensign Models, which includes parts for forklifts, bomb trailers, and "cockpit parts" for the three aircraft that I am building now. The parts include: instrument panel, seats, control stick. We are talking small, I think this is the smallest I have worked with do date.  I've taken a couple shots of the PE installed in the fuselage, but not as yet painted.  I seriously doubt that once the clear canopy is installed, one will not see what is inside.... seriously.  But, you dear folks and I will know they are there.  I will only do one aircraft, just so that I can say I did it.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2018, 05:18:38 am »

more.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2018, 12:16:56 pm »

Great work, as usual Dennis.two comments if I may. First, USN carriers often warmed up the engines of aircraft by running then while on the hangar deck. Even with the roller doors open, the exhaust fumes would have been fierce. I am speculating that the fans were exhaust fans, hence their location. The other comment is, remember that USN carriers had the Gallery deck running underneath the flight deck for a substantial portion of the latter's length. The flimsy beams you see in the hangar deck are supporting the gallery deck, not the flight deck. The beams for it are hidden from view by the gallery deck.Keep up the extraordinary work. BTY what are you taking to keep your hands from shaking? ;) Jonathan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.