Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check your Smoke Alarms!  (Read 1304 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Check your Smoke Alarms!
« on: March 29, 2018, 03:34:30 pm »

We nearly burnt the house down last weekend.... cooking pasta.... something on TV .... don't ask .... yes, I'm still in the dog house!

Turns out, afterwards,  that only one smoke alarm was actually working, the one furthest away from the kitchen!
 Other one self tested OK but wasn't actually detecting smoke any more!

NB:  Self  test  button  is  ONLY A BATTERY TEST!!!!!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Check your Smoke Alarms!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 04:01:31 pm »

good advice Martin................

my  old brother in law was a fire fighter and was amazed at the fires he went to that had fire alarms fitted but with dead or no batteries in them at all............your local fire department will do free checks and free alarms for the elderly if you ask for a Fire Safety Check...........YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE.............

And especially as we get older and our memories get worse.....accidents become more frequent.

neil.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 04:08:02 pm »

Very wise advice.
About three years ago I had to kick the door in for the house next to my parents after I saw smoke pouring out of the bathroom extractor vent. Luckily there was no-one home but the house was quickly engulfed. The cause- a faulty bedroom bedside lamp!
I could hear the fire alarms going off and hoped no-one was home but there was a car in the drive so I had think of the worst.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 04:17:58 pm »

Funny you should mention that Martin. We had our warm air heating and hot water system serviced this lunchtime and the engineer asked if we had a carbon monoxide detector. I pointed smugly to the one mounted on the wall just around the corner near the gas fire which was blinking away as usual with its green light. He took a closer look at the case and discovered that the sensor was out of date. I had completely forgotten that they lose their effectiveness!

Anyway, a replacement should arrive tomorrow courtesy of Amazon together with two new smoke detectors as we have had the existing ones for quite a long time now. Better safe than sorry (or maybe not around anymore...)

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.