Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A first model sailing yacht to build  (Read 5867 times)

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
A first model sailing yacht to build
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:48:55 pm »

Hello all I'm not sure if this would be the correct place to ask this question, but here goes: I would like to build a sailing yacht (model). It must be a bermudan sloop, and asthetically pleasing. I think that some kind of hard chine / double chine design would be best, as that would be simpler than carvel / diagonal / strip planked etc. Would anybody like to recommend a design for which the plans are available ? I have noticed something called the Star 45, then there are some of the Vic Smeed designs, and some on the Sarik website, the Ardent, and there is the 6T6, but that seems a bit of a monster (60 inches). Mind you the description does say "Simple to build and cheap too! " (my favourite price !). This would be for fun, i dont have any interest in racing, so partly i want to build something and partly want to sail something. Thanks. Maybe 30 inches up to a max of 48 ? Also, would I be correct in guessing that the rig is likely to be the most costly part of the boat ?

Thanks, SD.

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A first model sailing yacht to build
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:35:41 pm »

Racing Sparrow 750 is a good starting point. There is a book available on how to build it. also there is a forum for it. Comes as 750mm, but has been built up to 2 meters. Rig don't have to be expensive, depends how much yo are prepared to make.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 03:23:14 am »

Hi Knoby, I suggest the Vic Smeed Panache yacht at 30 inches long and it sails nicely.  It is very simple in design and just flat sides and a chine. The deck is flat and the RC fits inside.
On of the problems with scratch built model yachts is the keel ballast.  With the Panache this is just sheet lead flashing.  You can buy a laser cut wood kit but it is very simple to build and plans are available.  I have a couple myself.  The previous yacht mentioned is very nice and has a racing class associated with it.  If you try this one first it may give you a taste for model yachts.
The next thing you might consider is whether to go for scale sail, but that may be for later.
I do hope you enjoy making and sailing which ever you build as I have had many years pleasure from this activity.
kind regards roy

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:34:41 pm »

Hi,
If you can live with something a bit smaller (26") look at RG65 designs. There are many free plans available, from very simple to not so. One link - http://rg65.free.fr/ - has quite a collection.

cheers John K.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:04:26 am »

I to  would go along with the sparrow easy as a first build and you learn a lot.
              Regards  Howard.

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:56 pm »

Hello Howard John Roy Knobby. Thanks very much for your advice, it is all gratefully received. I think I'm leaning towards the Panache, as it is a nice looker, but no final decision is yet made. I guess one thing to find out is the relative cost of rigs. Perhaps some might be cheaper / more expensive. I have long dreamed of making my own sails (I have sailed sailing dinghies for many years), but have never done anything about it so far, perhaps this might be an opportunity to have a go. Best wishes, SD.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 10:53:26 pm »

Hi, the main sail on the Panache is a sleave that fits over the mast, very easy to make.  I make my own sails anyway without using a sewing machine.  They seem to last OK as I have not had to do any repairs.
regards Roy

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:25:43 pm »

Hi,
If you can live with something a bit smaller (26") look at RG65 designs. There are many free plans available, from very simple to not so. One link - http://rg65.free.fr/ - has quite a collection.

cheers John K.

Look for many RG65 plans here: https://www.allradiosailboats.com/class/rg65
You can also use the search facility to locate plans for many other designs and classes: https://www.allradiosailboats.com/advanced-search

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 02:32:54 pm »

Free RG 65 plan in the latest Model Boats Mag.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:26:37 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 05:45:56 pm »

The rig can be very cheap if you don't want to race. Sails can be cut flat, most are. You can put eyelets in the corners of the sails. Standing and running rigging can be made from a non-stretch cord or fishing line. Masts and booms can be made from dowel with cotter pins and screw eyes used for mounting points, and angling/fishing snap links on the end of lines/sheets. Beads can be used for fairleads to take running rigging down through the deck, bowsies can be made from old bits of plastic. and even a plastic ruler can be cut down to make sail arms for your servo.

Or you can spend money on pre-made sails, aluminium masts and booms, and purpose made fittings.

Personally, I find boats over 33 inches a bit of a handful for transportation, as many need de-rigging for most cars. Smaller boats can usually be snuck in to a family saloon with a wiggle and a twist. But the smaller they get, the less well they sail due to bobbing about more.

Just my 2c
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 03:32:48 pm »

There a number of very good choices - Currently the Dragon Force DF65 and DF95 are two of the most popular boats. They are not expensive by most standards and are easy to assemble. These are sold internationally so you shouldn't have trouble finding a dealer.
I time tested boat still in production is the Seawind. A one meter boat that is sold as a ready set and comes pretty much completed and ready to sail.
There are a number of other choices you may find. Suggest do a little reading, maybe check out other RC forums. There is a very popular forum here in the US called rcgroups.com check out the sailboat section. There are discussions and reviews of just about every RC sailboat every made on that site.
Finding a local sailing club in your area can be a great way to get started. Most groups are very welcoming and are likely to even let you sail one of their boats.
Good luck
Boomer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 04:45:41 pm »

Yes, a good point about local clubs, if you find one. If you see what others are sailing, maybe think about that, as owners will give you first hand tips of the little quirks building particular models.

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 08:53:08 pm »

not thaught much about sail before, but was looking at the free plan with interest only yesterday. i would consider buying the sails so that i know they'd be right, (not got great modeling skills, never mind fabric skills).

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34:43 am »

I have an aray of sail boats.. more by chance than selected purchase..

My First was a boat I bought at a Scout jumble sale for £30 back in 1993!!! Solid sail and it's really stable.. I don't know much about it.. but goes well...

Next was a Kyosho Fairwind.. got to hand it to them for a sail boat out the box that's from the 80's again it's really good.. Ebay!! late night and poss some wine involved!!

Then came along the Soling 1m I got from a guys house after I noticed it unloved in his lounge, next thing it was in my van!!!!

Then local facebook selling page saw a nice Fiesta M sail boat!! cheap and just needed some love and that's added to the fleet...

So really I am with you.... I would love now to BUILD a wooden sail boat and as I can see what's needed, rigging and how to set it up I am ready for the big build my self.. keep me posted.. I am following pages where there are builds and I am ripe for trying but need to find some BULBS??????
If it floats it's a winner :-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 10:49:12 am »

Hi I assume you mean lead bulbs?  If you check through the yacht kits for sale, new that is, often the bulb keel is an extra, so you can just buy that separately. 
I used the bulb keel made for Graupner Libera Ocean on another yacht.  Saves a lot of hassle.
regards Roy

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 10:58:23 am »

no I meant the shape things Wooden bucks??? ( sorry new to all this ) that you make a frame of and then lay the wood strips onto that and glue them all in place.. till you have a hull then take them out and there you go.. a Hull!!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 11:25:49 am »

Do you mean bulkheads? 
Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 11:57:47 am »

Or a solid plug?

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 08:38:56 am »

Think he means shadows?

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 09:35:24 am »

these things? I would love to build a wooden 1 meter sail boat

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 01:57:19 pm »

Hi surfrider, I think you need to do a bit of background work, may I suggest this web site?

https://www.sfmyc.org/website/images/stories/articles/xclassconstruction.pdf

It is a basic information and construction article with pictures.
Hope this helps,
Roy

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 03:53:35 pm »

:-))  Brilliant just the ticket...
I have the skills
I have the tools well most of them from thinking though
I have er... the wood.. lots of wood, I made Bass Wood Blinds so Wood strips are .....well over flowing lets say!
Time... well yes.. that's lacking some what.. but I do have time from time to time..

the hull I think will be fairly .... simply to do and I understand what's needed. it's the rigging!!?? I have an idea.. but I don't have the skills yet for this.. so steep learning curve for sure.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 04:21:52 pm »

Hi Surfer, if you build a specific yacht just stick to the plans and it should work.  Good luck always nice to see we have a scratch builder starting up.
best regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.