Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIGHTENING EXPERIENCE last night!  (Read 12901 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
FRIGHTENING EXPERIENCE last night!
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:08:00 pm »

This morning at 01.30 hours I was just closing up for the night when I heard the deafening roar of jet engines approaching my house in poulton le fylde from the north.........our dog went berserk as the plane approached and I rushed into the garden just as the crescendo of the aeroplanes  jet engines passed over at very low level.....it was so low it actually shook the house and my inner bones..a couple of hundred feet or so, no more....and I could see the glow of her engines as she flew into the southern darkness............I thought that she was going to crash on the town or in the fields beyond I was so terrified.

I told my daughter about it this morning and the fact that I was actually frightened for our safety for the first time in many years as the aircraft was so low at that time of night, and she tweeted it, to find that there were dozens of tweets regarding the same aircraft from as far away as Edinburgh, flying very low. It was apparently an RAF Aircraft.

Someone tweeted that she had been on exercise from Lossiemouth in the North of Scotland  when bad weather had closed in and so diverted to Edinburgh where similar weather was now being experienced, and by now was critical on fuel and so was diverted at low altitude via Morecambe bay, over poulton and Blackpool, down the coast to Liverpool John Lennon Airport on an emergency route and landed safely just after 02.00 hours.

just glad of the outcome for the guys on board...........a change of trousers would be perfectly acceptable for those air crew members.. %) ;) :-))

neil.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: FRIGHTENING EXPERIENCE last night!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:43:47 pm »

There was similar reported last year over Hull (low flying) Then the RAF fronted up to say two of their aircraft had been scrambled to intercept a Russian plane flying down the North Sea. Once they had seen it off, they gave a low level flying demonstration over Hull and the Humber before heading back to base.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 05:46:22 pm »

RAF announced it as a emergency divert training exercise during a normal routine mission. Pilots unaware of divert.........this is what happens in the real world, unfortunately it woke a few people up but would like to think they would rather land quickly and safely and get back in the air to defend our airspace....... :-))
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:07:31 pm »

RAF announced it as a emergency divert training exercise during a normal routine mission. Pilots unaware of divert.........this is what happens in the real world, unfortunately it woke a few people up but would like to think they would rather land quickly and safely and get back in the air to defend our airspace....... :-))

yes, heard that stew, on facebook but this was my reply to that statement a friend made............I'm very cynical when organisations say something that from personal experience and viewing just doesn't ring true...

There was only one plane flew over my house Paul...........and it was a damned sight larger than a typhoon......don't think fake at all, because I contacted the CAA this lunch time and they came back later saying they could not comment........if it were a couple of Typhoons, as  they could happily made such a comment......(even commented when I reported a UFO  from the same garden that I, my wife and a friend who was having a drink with us saw late one night).........it was a cover up, but they still commented........but to say we cannot comment gives me to believe that the aircraft was in some difficulty, and not typhoons on night exercise........I go to bed late most nights and have never had planes fly over the area that late, and they don't scramble typhoons from Warton either.
Do you think that the RAF  would admit to putting an aircraft, in peril from shortage of fuel and  then route it over urban accommodation...............there'd be poop to pay...........so give a diversionary story......two typhoons re routed..........sorry Paul..........there was only one plane, and the engines were not stuck up it's 'bottom'........they were on the wings, a distance apart!!!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »

Said aircraft passed down the Mersey in a northly direction at approximately 0115, it wasn't as loud as during the daytime but he did open up as he when over Liverpool Bay heading towards Valley I presume, at least it sounded like it. Unusual granted, but not in the least bit scary. The moggy, Fluffy Puss, didn't even stir.

LB

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 08:44:05 pm »

Neil - low on fuel? It does not make sense to fly low. Stay at altitude: there's less drag, and more options as to where you ditch (if you need to) the aircraft.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Walnut

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 09:16:54 pm »

I love stuff like this. I Live in the Lot et Garonne which is a low fly training area for the French Air Force. Mirage 2000's, Alpha jets (yes they still use them) and Rafale are literally an everyday sight. The lower the better over my house! If you're not used to it however it can be disturbing.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 10:07:23 pm »

Then there's this business over the poisoning and us having a to do with Russia, I wonder if the Russians will put a few more Bears and Blackjacks into or around UK airspace now? Putting in a few extra hours training is no bad thing.

Good to hear that the crew are safe.
Pond weed is your enemy

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:48 pm »

...and the engines were not stuck up it's 'bottom'........they were on the wings, a distance apart!!!

So what does that make it?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:26 pm »

Oh oh me me!!!

An airliner! %)

No really I’ve heard anything other than what’s been mentioned on here.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RST

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 11:23:27 pm »

My old worksite was an old airfield dating back to RFC days but the whole area was a catalina / RAF crash tender base.  RAF used our site for fake boming runs -it being almost 2 miles long at the end of glen Wivis.  Tornado and Jaguar bombing was always a pain at some moments 'till they passed.

One day I at the end of my office outside because the noise was pretty unusual (office started shaking).  I stepped outside the block and a Herculese was perilouly close and apparently crashing into us straight on from across the site -we couldn't run much in any direction to escape a crash landing by the time we saw it it was so low!!!!

....suddenly it pulled almost straight up directly above my office.   I'm not the only person who saw daylight through the windows on it -it was that close!!  I have always said what a phenominal aircraftit is for its size -but truly demonstrated that day, the noise and proximity were truly immense and the fact it was so close to ground but just turned up and fxxx off almost staight up and we never saw it again up in the cluds afterwards. We were all left shaking afterwards, we all thought it was going to be a crash landing at the back of our site but it just pulled up at very last minute, off and went!  I'm sure they don't get away with those stunts in less than rural areas!!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 11:38:26 pm »

Love a good conspiracy theory, so here goes...
Not a Russian Blackjack, that's just silly..How about an American B-1B playing at being a Blackjack, for a plaything for a pair of RAF Typhoons to play with.
Just a more plausible conspiracy theory, please shoot down :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 03:22:20 pm »

Love a good conspiracy theory, so here goes...
Not a Russian Blackjack, that's just silly..How about an American B-1B playing at being a Blackjack, for a plaything for a pair of RAF Typhoons to play with.
Just a more plausible conspiracy theory, please shoot down :}

I love these conspiracies.....but the simple truth is....................I was stood in the garden as I heard it approaching.............there was only one aircraft flew overhead.........two glowing engines disappearing southwards at 01.30.......not 3 aircraft and six glowing jetand she was so slow in passing and at that speed any two accompanying typhoons that need 13+ computers in the air would have dropped to the ground.......

I may be 66 but I'm not ga ga or stupid, and I can count to 10 with help from my fingers, and there was only ONE  airplane..........and how it could have been flying in a northerly direction up the Mersey at 01.15 when she was flying over my house at 01.30 hours, god only knows.........perhaps even more conspiratous  is that there were two planes playing ring a ring o' roses....... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

it is however very interesting that the CAA has not made any return comment to me........I find that very enlightening

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 03:37:37 pm »

So what aircraft type do you think it was? It's a very short list for RAF types.
Were the engines next to each other (like a Tornado/Typhoon), spaced slightly apart (like a Buccaneer or a Gulfstream/private jet) or much wider like Canberra/737/A320?

A similar short list for US/Russian/Civil types can be derived.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 03:52:31 pm »

...and the engines were not stuck up it's 'bottom'........they were on the wings, a distance apart!!!

So what does that make it?

that in itself makes it a very strange incident, Jonty..because not  5 miles away as the crow [or aircraft in this case] flies there are two "airports" that still have operational airstrips if needed.....Warton, where the parts and testing of Typhoons is carried out, and Blackpool..............Although Blackpool is now closed as a commercial airport, it still has full emergency services capabilities on site 24/7 and both Warton and Blackpool are capable of taking a Boeing 747 or equivalent sized airplane on to the long runways should they be needed in an emergency, but not for standard flight and taxying.........i.e. she'd never get off the ground again a Blackpool............so make of that what you will, but it certainly wasn't a Typhoon that flew overhead.......little bit of news........or no news actually, I contacted the local paper the morning after to give them a snippet........3 days later and still no "snippet" printed........curious and curiouser!

As to your question plastic.........I have absolutely no idea other than it wasn't a break away from 617 squadron.............there ain't no dams around here to bust, But definitely a larger aircraft than a fighter bomber or multi roll combat aircraft..........it was just a tad dark to see..........and my aircraft recognition starts and ends with WW2 British/German fighters and bombers....... Lanc or a Junkers either. lol :D %% %% %% .

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 04:35:14 pm »

So we're talking a small commercial like a Boeing 737 or Airbus A320 - so almost certainly some kind of surveilance / reconnaissance flight.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 04:43:06 pm »

Engine noisewise   a bewildering sound  I heard a good few moons back. It was  early evening  summertime  Just outside Bristol on the coast. I was walking the dogs  and just started heading down towards the bay Our road is 300' level  I heard this deep booming throb  then as it got deeper could almost feel it the dogs were none too pleased either. Twas nowt like  anything I'd heard before I also grew up with the lancs etc.But definitely (I was sure) only one engine.  I was taken aback when from BELOW the rooftops 3 Hercules in very tight formation climbed up then the Harmonic broke and you heard multi  engines . I dont know what  they were playing at  but must have been  a fair bit below the 300 mark and with the 2nd highest tide on the planet just here   talk about  up to the wire

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 05:25:07 pm »

The only aircraft in the RAF which has 2 wing mounted engines and could potentially be operating at low altitudes is the Boeing P8-A, which is a maritime patrol aircraft, replacing the Nimrod. It's based on the 737.

It'd be unlikely, and I doubt you'd see glow from those engines (or really any large airliner-style turbofans) even at military power, so for me I'd probably still go with some form of fighter aircraft.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 05:28:18 pm »

The only aircraft in the RAF which has 2 wing mounted engines and could potentially be operating at low altitudes is the Boeing P8-A, which is a maritime patrol aircraft, replacing the Nimrod. It's based on the 737.

It'd be unlikely, and I doubt you'd see glow from those engines (or really any large airliner-style turbofans) even at military power, so for me I'd probably still go with some form of fighter aircraft.

I'm betting on P8 Poseidon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 05:33:12 pm »

AHH
Not a Blackpool Buccaneer then :D :D
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 05:39:14 pm »

Could be a Voyager

Sorry an Airbus A340 air tanker! That a twin engine airliner sized aircraft operated  by the RAF
Nick B

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 05:48:05 pm »

Jets do glow from behind.

I'm still with P8.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 05:49:54 pm »

It could if we had any- not in service yet.
Nick B

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »

It could if we had any- not in service yet.

Planes types are often on evaluation/testing for years before purchase.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 05:55:42 pm »

Jets do glow from behind.

I'm still with P8.

no lights showing but that was similar in size and configuration that I saw for the few seconds that I did as it flew away........wasn't quick enough to see it flying towards me,in the darkness as I couldn't see any lights, and as it was a couple of hundred yards to my left, it was almost as though [although improbable] following the main street lights of the main Fleetwood to Blackpool road..........but as I saw, all in darkness except for the two engine pods.

it is something I won't forget in a hurry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.