Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Newbie question - rc equipment

(1/6) > >>

GaryC1234uk:
Hi all,

I am a total newbie to the site and also to model boating.

I am considering a yacht kit (possibly Thunder Tiger Victoria II - not decided yet). I will also obviously need to buy a RC TX/RX to complement this - minimum 2 chanels? (rudder and sails) - but is there any advantage in buying a RC with more than 2 channels? - I am wondering if there is scope to add more controls/complexity later .... or am I wasting money? (It looks like a 6 channel RC is not necessarily that much more than a 2 channel). Also is it worth considering a RC that has Frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) technology to eliminate any chance of interference?

Please be gental - this might be a stupid question (or not) - as I say I am totally new to this !

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Netleyned:
Hi Gary and Welcome to the Mayhem.
You will want to go to a 2.4GHz set.
This will negate frequency clashes.
If you are only going to sail yachts
then 2 channels are sufficient, but to
future proof yourself for the hobby,
then a six channel set is the way to go.
The Victoria is a nice yacht. (I have one)
but the DragonForce 65 is another one
worth investigating.

Ned

Plastic - RIP:
You can get a 6-channel 2.4GHz set for under £30. No point bothering with old 27MHz gear.

Mark T:
There is so much choice and for a fairly modest outlay you can buy a set that will do the job nicely.  It all depends on what you want for your budget?  If you buy a budget set it will work perfectly well and I agree with the comments above about the 2.4Ghz sets.

I have found that the more advanced transmitters give a lot more scope when it comes to setting things up.  I like the way you can set everything from the transmitter including servo travel, speed, end point travel and exponential travel.  These things are absolutely not required but can and do make things easier.  It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you want your RC gear to do?

GaryC1234uk:

--- Quote from: Netleyned on April 07, 2018, 03:29:19 pm ---...The Victoria is a nice yacht. (I have one)
but the DragonForce 65 is another one
worth investigating.

Ned

--- End quote ---

Ned, Thanks for the info, As it happens took a trip to local lake to check out my nearest club - only two folk there (but it was quite early in season and not warm!) - one guy had a Victoria and the other the DragonForce 65 - both 'older' versions than current models) ... been looking at both - like the look (and price) of the Victoria - but the DragonForce is possibly easier/quicker to get into the water ..... I was thinking that I want to build a steam-powered boat - but I am rapidly thinking that is way too ambitious thinking for a first boat. (I don't think there is a 'RTR' steam boat on the market - and I think 'second hand' steam will be a nightmare for a total newbie - I have very much to learn!) My only RC experience is a couple of model car builds circa 25 years ago - so its a lot different tech now !!. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version