Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Sar 33 Owners  (Read 3417 times)

John RC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Super Smashing Great!
Robbe Sar 33 Owners
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:23:48 pm »

I'm looking to find out if there are any other Sar 33 boat owners on the forum to discuss. Only sold for a few years/months around 1998. I've restored one from Germany last year which was in great condition, restoring one from the uk this year unfortunately in a poor condition.
Originally I liked the boat when it came out, but like a lot of things never got round to trying to buy it until it had gone out of production for some reason or another. Brought billings Thor instead which had similar running gear

Perfection is the enemy of Excellence. Now where are those rivets .......1......2......3......

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
Re: Robbe Sar 33 Owners
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:57:55 pm »

They were great looking boats. It had some thing to do with copyright which end then i believe.

John RC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:49:32 pm »

I believe your right, Turkish designed, German built. an interesting bow design, but the rest, run of the mill.
Robbe must have cheesed somebody off,  Robbe's model is twin hydro jet powered, has different weapons, a sculptured stern and SAR (Search And Rescue), pretty standard for coast guard boats. 33 being just a number.
The original is powered by three standard props,Sertel, the Turkish naval designer, built by Abeking & Rasmussen. could make up the initials S.A.R (designer and builder) purely coincidental?
The other possibility could be the model hull is extremely well made, very thick what I think is ABS. Costs high, sales low? The second Sar 33 boat I have has a wooden inlaid deck, I'm guessing an early kit. The first Sar33 boat brought has a sticker detailed deck.
Was Robbe was already cutting costs on the original model kit? Add to that, Billings put Thor on the market with similar running gear specs and included the fitting kit where the Robbe Sar33 did not. Maybe, just maybe the copy write was an easy withdrawal method. The Billings Thor carried on selling, but not for very long. At over £320.00  Thor with out the motors batteries and radio, it did come cheap, I've only seen one of those too, mine.
I love a good conspiracy theory {-)

URL=http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/John_Clarke/media/2009-03-05%208.jpg.html][/URL][/font]

Perfection is the enemy of Excellence. Now where are those rivets .......1......2......3......

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:03:32 pm »

I know this is not the Robbe SAR 33, but maybe this sheds light on why the Robbe was not around for long:

https://www.kehrer-modellbau.de/en/hulls/sar-33/sar-33-mit-2x-kmb-jet2804

John RC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:46:58 pm »

Yes, I think this is fibre glass ghost or stealth hull, I think it was produced some time after the demise of the Robbe Sar33. The ghost uses the same KMB hydro jets as the Sar33, but it's shown with the upgraded reversing buckets.

The early Sar33 I have needs a lot of work due to the previous owner using it in sea water. So I added the upgraded reversing buckets and added a pair of Aquastar 1700kv brushless motors to give it a little bit extra.

The ghost doesn't come cheap either, I'm not sure what the post is for it either. That's if you can get them to send it to the uk.

After three attempts I finally got to import the late original version of Sar33 from Germany, the original owner was very reluctant, He wrapped it very well but it still came broken. You can still buy original parts on the water jets and some of the boat fittings are standard and available.

John RC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:20:01 pm »

Sar 33 before being sent from Germany, for a near on twenty years old model she is in very good condition, the original builder did a good job keeping it very simple.

I've added front and rear deck lamps for night sailing, motor driven rotating radar and rc controlled movable forward gun.

The main thing with these boats is to keep the weight down as low as possible. They virtually skim across the water, if you get it right it can be run in as little of two inches of water depth.
The only down side is that they will not steer unless under power and this particular models reversing bucket (reverse control device) is rubbish. It will not slow you down quickly and reverse control is woolly to say the least.  This became apparent when I accidentally "flew" over my mate's type IX.
The upgrade reversing bucket is better but with a more complex action.

The original boat with it's flowing wave breaker hull.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:55:27 pm »

With jet drive boats I've always found tiller full over and full power to be the best way of avoiding a collision!

John RC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:32:34 pm »

He surfaced :o  I looked for and flicked <*<  reversing bucket switch on Tx O0 max trust :P

Type IX railings in the water %)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.