Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Receiver aerial setting  (Read 2340 times)

hullmanhunter

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Receiver aerial setting
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:12:50 pm »

I' a newbie to all of this. Can somebody advise me is it possible to mount a 2.4ghz receiver and its aeriel inside a GRP hull? I have a hobby king T6 which I'm planning to use. It seems to work at short range without having to drill a hole and place the aeriel outside. It looks less unsightly this way. All advice welcome.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Receiver aerial setting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:44 pm »

my radio is mounted high up on one of the rear bulkheads (well above the waterline) and works well enough

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 02:10:06 pm »

Don't they have to be 90o to each other .... or something?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 04:48:58 pm »

I have a Futaba system in which the Receiver has two antenna which go at 90 degrees. I mount it as high as possible inside the superstructure (I make Tugs and Cargo Boats) with one antenna horizontal, i.e. parallel to the water, and one pointing straight up. This one sticks out and is mounted inside a short length of 1.5mm brass tube. This can easily be painted to look part of the ship.
John

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 04:57:54 pm »

The two antenna receivers are aimed at the aircraft users. They operate in a three dimensional way
and the two antennae giv e more chance of a strong
reception in all flight attitudes.
Not so important in the marine environment.
Just don't point the TX antenna at the model as there is very little radiated power from the end.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 05:13:02 pm »

always get the antennae as high as possible. i'm building a springer, (far to slowly), and the receiver will be in the wheel house roof! this will enable me to get the antennae somewhere up the mast. also be aware of the fresnel effect, (google it). even with line of sight, the ground (water) can get in the way of the signal when the receiver is far enough away.

hullmanhunter

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 07:07:36 pm »

I have a Futaba system in which the Receiver has two antenna which go at 90 degrees. I mount it as high as possible inside the superstructure (I make Tugs and Cargo Boats) with one antenna horizontal, i.e. parallel to the water, and one pointing straight up. This one sticks out and is mounted inside a short length of 1.5mm brass tube. This can easily be painted to look part of the ship.
John

So the signal will pass through brass tube? It should be fine inside a fibreglass hull then.?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:17:22 am »

So the signal will pass through brass tube? It should be fine inside a fibreglass hull then.?
It will only work accidentally if the end section of the receiver aerial is hidden inside a metal tube.  2G4 signals will pass through almost anything non conducting like fibreglass.  There has to be clear line of sight between the transmitter and the end one and a bit inches of the receiver antenna since that is the bit that does the receiving.  The rest of the lead just carries the signal to the receiver.
The Futaba mentioned is probably running on just the horizontal one.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

hullmanhunter

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:47:58 am »

It will only work accidentally if the end section of the receiver aerial is hidden inside a metal tube.  2G4 signals will pass through almost anything non conducting like fibreglass.  There has to be clear line of sight between the transmitter and the end one and a bit inches of the receiver antenna since that is the bit that does the receiving.  The rest of the lead just carries the signal to the receiver.
The Futaba mentioned is probably running on just the horizontal one.
[/xquote]

Thanks that's very clear. Perhaps the best thing would be to do a range test anyway.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Receiver aerial setting
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 07:44:46 pm »

Interesting comment from malcolmfrary. I will give my boats a good looking at next time I'm in the Boathouse and see exactly what I've done.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.