Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Biting off more than I can chew

(1/3) > >>

Chillitt:
Hello, thought I'd better check in since I'm new.
Been messing about with plastic kits for ages but I've just found something and I think I might be struggling. It's a John Piper HMS Grey Goose. I have used etched brass bit before but never white metal parts, so I'm looking for clues. This site was recommended to me so I'm here to be talked into it or out of it... :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP:
Hello Chillitt,

Welcome to Mayhem.  We hope you enjoy yourself here as questions will always be answered  (and you might even end up back with me !)

I think it fair to say we've all worked white metal parts.  These are usually heavy and solid, although soft, so please be careful when shaping them. They can be shaped and trimmed quite easily. The thing to watch out for is from overworking them and undercutting any shape you are trying to re-form. Solder can added at the risk of overheating the shape.

best of luck and don't forget some pictures.

ken

Brian60:
cutting timming can be done with sharp craft knife or stanley type knife. ordinary fine file for detail work. If they are multi part fixtures, some people solder, but personally if there is a gap to fill go for epoxy glue, if the fit is close enough superglue will suffice.

Chillitt:
Thank you both, I will get some pics. Glad I dont have to try and solder this together!  :-))

Chillitt:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version