Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Steamer Club Spring Show 2018  (Read 2506 times)

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
Model Steamer Club Spring Show 2018
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:21 pm »

A warm invitation is extended to join the Model Steamer Club at Rouken Glen pond, Glasgow, for their Spring Show on 28th April 2018.

If you have a Steamer model, turbine, paddler or more modern Calmac vessel then bring it along and join us. Sail 'doon the watter' to our 1:48 scale model piers of Blairmore, Arrochar, Tighnabruaich and Kepple. All models welcome but the aim is to have a large presence of Clyde and Western Isles models on the water.

Come and enjoy one of the best settings for model boats. Secure display area, launching platform, rescue boat and an excellent cafe, toilets and a snack kiosk.

Below is a link to the video from last years event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpoMRMvxwZ0&t=65s

As always we can guarantee typical Clyde weather!

Regards

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Steamer Club Spring Show 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:01:37 pm »

wish I could be up there Andrew..........have a great day out............how's your Jupiter coming along.

neil.

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:39:02 pm »

Hi Neil

Trust you're all well. Sorry you're not able to make the show on the 28th. We'll see you sometime no doubt.

Jupiter not on the ways yet. Working on my TSMV Loch Seaforth (1947) at the moment. Spent a lot of time working overseas in the Autumn and early 2018 so slow progress.Have found her a difficult build as I wanted the whole superstructure to lift off. Getting there now though.

Must post some pics of her elsewhere on here... :embarrassed:

Hoping to film the event and post the results on Youtube again. Hoping for good weather!

Regards

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »

take care my friend.............and hope the sun shines for you on the 28th...........it should be a lovely sight to see all those Clyde steamers, and look forward to the YouTube video.

Will you be there on the day.

neil.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:22:45 am »

A couple of pictures taken by Ian Fleming from the day.

R.M.S. Columba approaching Keppel pier, and T.S. Queen Mary (nearer) passing Ian's model of her sister ship T.S. Queen Alexandria.... suddenly it is 1933 again.

The real Queen Mary is back in Glasgow. 85 years old this year. The model in the photo built initially by my father, and completed by Douglas Curley of the M.S.C. and now back in the family with me, is itself 48 years old this year.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 07:39:22 pm »

wonderful pictures of beautiful ships.........wish I'd been able to attend and sail there............hopefully there'll be another day.

what scale are your steamers predominantly built to, Sandy, and was your father the famous builder of such models that once had plans and a build of the Streaker Jupiter published in the Model Boats mag.

neil.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 10:04:50 pm »

Hi Neil,

The Model Steamer Club has traditionally built to 48th scale as it suits the older steamers and all the piers are built to that scale too.

Columba is/was the largest traditional steamer at 300ft, but now of course there are bigger modern Calmac ships.

The club started off at 1/8th inch scale, then moved briefly to 3/16th before settling on 1/4inch. I have attached a photo from 1971 showing the 1/8th scale boats, then a couple of 3/16th before moving on to the 1/4inch:- Duchess of Hamilton; Jeanie Deans; Duchess of Fife; Juno; Dad's Queen Mary under construction; King George V; Duchess of Montrose; Glen Sannox and Jupiter at the end by our blue trawler.

No, my father wasn't a famous builder and wasn't in Model Boats magazine.

All the best

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »

Hi Neil

You may be thinking of Sandy Thomson who build a great number of Clyde Steamers, many of Sandy's were featured in Model Boats magazine. His plans and model of MV Jupiter being one.
Thanks to Sandy for the Steamer Club history and the wonderful picture below. I'll add a few of my own pictures from the show for folk to enjoy.

Many thanks to all those who came along to support us. A very enjoyable day was had by all. We'll just not talk about the intense downpour, complete with hail that lasted an interesting ten minutes!

Kind regards

Andrew   

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »

Some more to enjoy...

Pioneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:11 pm »

.....And finally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.